Surface-level hole scraped in wall

Old 11-19-19, 08:47 PM
J
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Surface-level hole scraped in wall

Hey all,

I've had a chair pressed up against this wall and recently noticed a metal bit on the back sticking out had scraped through the paint to the wall as the chair shifted around. Any fixes that I could do simply by running to the store with not many tools, or should I get a handyman to take care of it?

Here's the picture:

Thanks all.

Old 11-19-19, 11:16 PM
S
Group Moderator
Received 1,262 Upvotes on 1,203 Posts
It need to be filled with joint compound, sanded smooth, primed and painted. The biggest problem is going to be matching the texture on the wall. I would put this high on the list of DIY projects but the fact you asked about it in the first place makes me think you might be one who is happier hiring out.

Joesh Baker voted this post useful.
Old 11-19-19, 11:43 PM
Received 1,210 Upvotes on 1,098 Posts
The texture looks rougher than normal. Trim away the loose paper, fill, sand, primer to repair the hole.

If additional texture is needed they sell aerosol cans with different size nozzles that you spray the texture on over the repaired patch.

It's a bit of a pain but it does work!

Joesh Baker voted this post useful.
Old 11-20-19, 01:15 AM
J
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Thanks friends. Will give it a shot. Any particular brand / kind of joint compound that's better suited to this task than others?

Old 11-20-19, 04:15 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 832 Upvotes on 729 Posts
It shouldn't make any difference what type/brand of joint compound you use. The texture looks like run of the mill orange peel to me. You can either buy an aerosol can of texture and spray it over the finished repair or thin down some j/c and pat it on with sponge.

Old 11-20-19, 04:26 AM
P
Group Moderator
Received 2,144 Upvotes on 1,920 Posts
Before you start peel off a piece of the painted surface bigger than a quarter. You can then take that paint sample to the store to color match for your touch-up paint. Best though would be if you have a can of the original paint hiding somewhere in the basement.

Old 11-20-19, 04:34 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 832 Upvotes on 729 Posts
Unless you know what brand/line of paint it is - mixing touch up paint so it blends will be next to impossible. Any good paint store can match the color but the sheen of the paint is determined at the factory. It looks like it might be semi-gloss which in itself is hard to touch up. IF you have some of the leftover paint I would try touching it up but would plan on having to repaint that entire wall.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: