Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Interior Improvement Center > Walls and Ceilings
Reload this Page >

Advice for wall to ceiling corner crack

Old 12-15-19, 12:59 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts

Hi I need some advice on a wall to ceiling joint crack that developed in my bathroom. This tile shower was remodeled a few months ago, the drywall on the side with the green tape was replaced along with that outside corner metal bead. A few months later a crack developed going from the green tape side wrapping around the other side of the corner. I scrapped off some of the loose paint and also pulled away a piece with my hands which happened to tear a portion of tape. Notice there is a small gap between the corner bead and the wall.
I showed this to the contractor and he claims since he "didn't do anything wrong and can't explain why that would have happened" he can't take responsibility and offered to come in and fix it at his hourly rate, approx $500 due to multiple trips.
House is about 6 to 7 years old.

I'm going to try and fix this myself and could use some pointers.
Thanks in advanced.

Pictures:
https://imgur.com/a/WJ1UsXf
https://imgur.com/7h0GWao
https://imgur.com/QY22657
https://imgur.com/whbAtfX
https://imgur.com/t3eqyPd

Name:  p1.jpg
Views: 25
Size:  23.8 KB

Name:  p2.jpg
Views: 21
Size:  18.2 KB

Name:  p3.jpg
Views: 20
Size:  22.7 KB

Last edited by PJmax; 12-15-19 at 08:23 PM. Reason: imported three pics
Sponsored Links
Old 12-15-19, 01:59 PM
Group Moderator
Received 285 Votes on 261 Posts
YouTube is full of videos that show you how to tape an inside corner. You use joint compound that has been thinned slightly with water. Embed the folded paper tape in the mud and press it into the corner, then with a putty knife you squeeze out the mud behind the tape by using a small 3" knife like a squeegee... wiping the tape down tight to the wall. Once that is dry, you mud over the tape again, with a 3 or 4 inch knife, laying on just enough mud so as to cover the paper. Once that is dry, you coat it again, using a 6" knife... just laying on enough mud to smooth out all the edges.

Then you lightly sand it with a fine sanding sponge, being careful not to sand too deep and expose the paper. After sanding, if you still notice imperfections (divots in the finish) you will need to touch up those areas with a skim coat... a very thin coat of mud. Then give it a final sanding... look for imperfections again. If it looks good, you are ready for primer and paint.

Old 12-15-19, 02:49 PM
Received 142 Votes on 132 Posts
First off, cracks in drywall seams are very common and do not indicate an issue.

As wood ages it shrinks and twists which pull on drywall seams, especially in corners, and you get cracks.

They can be repaired from simple hairline cracks with caulk all the way to cutting out the old paper tape and replacing!

Old 12-15-19, 02:52 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 156 Votes on 138 Posts
While removing the old tape and retaping is best, I've fixed many a corner crack with just caulk. Caulking is quick/easy especially if the crack is the only thing wrong. What was scraped off will need to be fixed with mud.

Old 12-15-19, 07:06 PM
XSleeper: Indeed, but I haven't found a video that shows how to fix an inside corner ceiling crack, it's usually a new build or fixing a non corner crack, I don't know if I should remove the old tape or what. Thanks for the great instructions, just need to know if I can do this over the existing tape or cut the old out. Thanks!

Old 12-15-19, 07:20 PM
While removing the old tape and retaping is best, I've fixed many a corner crack with just caulk. Caulking is quick/easy especially if the crack is the only thing wrong. What was scraped off will need to be fixed with mud.
I cut out and sanded where the tape was torn and plan to fill that with all purpose.

The side with the green tape in the pictures, where the bathroom tile is, it cracked all the way through the tape so I'm afraid that just caulk would not look too good or re-crack again. What I thought about doing is:

1) Fill the cracks with 90 min mud * the crack starts to thin out in the long wall so it becomes hairline jagged, not sure if I should widen here and fill with mud, caulk it or just cover it with tape.
2) Tape on top of it

Don't know if I should try to remove the old tape.

Thanks again everyone.

Old 12-15-19, 07:24 PM
Group Moderator
Received 285 Votes on 261 Posts
You only need to remove what is loose. If it is not loose, tape over it. And if the crack is in the corner, you can tape right over it. If there are 2 cracks, along both sides of the paper tape, (roughly 1" on either side of the corner) the paper is likely loose and should be removed.