Potential supports?

Old 02-08-20, 11:11 AM
P
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Potential supports?

I have three poles in my basement. I'm hoping for guidance on whether you think they are structural or not. The reason being is I would like to remove the one that is right in the middle of my basement bar.

The beams are parallel with the main support beam for the house, so that is the only reason I am unsure if they are structural or not. You can see in the pic below that the poles are directly below the dropped down drywall. The drywall contains my HVAC ducts.

What do you all think? I can take more pictures if needed. See pics below.

Attached Images   

Top Answer

02-08-20, 11:41 AM
Marq1
Received 1,138 Upvotes on 1,032 Posts
whether you think they are structural or not
Your asking if the three steel posts, set on footers supporting one, maybe of many, steel beams which support the entire house is considered structural.

Let me think about that, yes!!

Want to remove, better get a structural engineer involved to figure out what, and where additional posts need to go to replace the one you want to remove, which will include some excavation of the floor to install proper footers!

Old 02-08-20, 11:41 AM
Received 1,138 Upvotes on 1,032 Posts
whether you think they are structural or not
Your asking if the three steel posts, set on footers supporting one, maybe of many, steel beams which support the entire house is considered structural.

Let me think about that, yes!!

Want to remove, better get a structural engineer involved to figure out what, and where additional posts need to go to replace the one you want to remove, which will include some excavation of the floor to install proper footers!

Norm201, XSleeper voted this post useful.
Old 02-08-20, 05:52 PM
S
Group Moderator
Received 1,197 Upvotes on 1,152 Posts
Friend of a friend went into the home remodeling and repair business a while back and got called to a house because the guy said his living room was sinking. Walked into the living room and just about fell due to the slope. Went downstairs to take a look and pointed out where there should have been a post. Homeowner responded there had been one but he took it out because it was in his way. Contractor just said, "take care" and walked out of the house.

Old 02-08-20, 05:55 PM
P
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Thanks everyone. I'm not ignorant to what support posts are. I just didn't know if these were for sure support beams due to the hvac ducts overhead. I didn't know if they were extra support for them, which would be much more manageable to remove one to support a duct. I know to never remove a support beam. It just makes no sense for the previous homeowner to build a bar on top of a support beam.

Old 02-09-20, 02:40 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 754 Upvotes on 659 Posts
Those posts wouldn't have been installed by the builder if they weren't needed for support. Sometimes it's cheaper to build around or incorporate the post into your plans than to remove it and install a different means to provide that support. HVAC ducting doesn't require support to that extent.

Old 02-09-20, 03:12 AM
M
Received 266 Upvotes on 238 Posts
I am with everyone else.
They are supports and if you opened them up you will find a steel telepost inside.
I would also bet that you will find a beam above them.
Depending on the floor plan it is not that unusual to find a couple support beams.

As far as designing the one post into the bar who can say what the person who did this was thinking.
But if the bar had to go there then it makes sense to build it into the bar.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: