Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Interior Improvement Center > Walls and Ceilings
Reload this Page >

mount projector with 2 screws in joists and 2 in drywall

Old 02-26-20, 11:06 AM
C
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts

I am setting up my 10 pounds projector in the basement, the mount plate has 4 holes, and only 2 of the 4 holes sit on ceiling joists. I was wondering is it okay to just use the 2 holes to screw in the joists and use regular toggle bolts for the rest 2 holes?

Sponsored Links
Old 02-26-20, 11:31 AM
T
Received 24 Votes on 22 Posts
Projectors can be quite pricey. Your plan sounds sufficient for 10 lbs but it's not my projector. If it were, I'd run one section of furring strip on each joist and two perpendicular to the joists, then use all 4 screws.

Note that only two perpendicular strips may be necessary for all four screws depending on where the screw holes are located.

Old 02-26-20, 11:39 AM
Received 185 Votes on 172 Posts
Or mount a piece of plywood or similar piece of wood to the joist with lag bolts then mount your bracket to that!

Old 02-26-20, 02:46 PM
C
I am trying to avoid putting up an additional wood like plywood under the ceiling. Have to make it pretty...

Old 02-26-20, 04:07 PM
Received 185 Votes on 172 Posts
Not under, over the top of the drywall! Paint it the same color, it will disappear and you will have a solid mount to hold that expensive projector without wondering if it's going to fall since you used toggle bolts!

Old 02-26-20, 05:27 PM
C
I do have two lag screws nailed the mount plate to the ceiling joist. Figured that should be enough to hold the projector.

Old 02-26-20, 05:33 PM
Group Moderator
Received 330 Votes on 303 Posts
Toggle bolts will be fine... just use the larger ones. You will need to mark and install the toggles on the mount first... and insert them throigh your predrilled holes so that you can pull down on the mount while you alternately tighten the toggles down. Then put your screws in last. Be sure you will be hitting the center of the framing with those screws.