Brick deterioration

Old 03-04-20, 05:58 AM
T
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
Brick deterioration

We have a cottage that is not heated during winter. It has a brick chimney/fireplace. (The house & brick are 70 years old.) Each winter quite a bit of brick material sloughs off from the surface and falls to the floor. Any idea what might be causing this, and what I can do about it?

Sponsored Links
Old 03-04-20, 09:07 AM
P
Group Moderator
Received 526 Votes on 483 Posts
Without seeing it my first guess is that it's simply poor quality brick. There isn't anything you can do to prevent it that I am aware of. The most common explanation I've heard is that the bricks weren't fired at high enough temperature. This is more common with old bricks and those that were on the outer edges of the kiln.

Old 03-04-20, 10:11 AM
Z
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 89 Votes on 84 Posts
If it's on the exterior of the chimney (not interior hot brick), it could be parged and stuccoed with cement to seal it all together and keep it from chipping off.

If it's on the interior of the chimney, I'll have to defer to others. Sounds like it might need a liner, but that doesn't help with the structural integrity of the chimney.

Old 03-04-20, 05:36 PM
J
Received 67 Votes on 62 Posts
Post a picture so we can see what your seeing.
Google "spalling".

Old 03-04-20, 05:48 PM
Group Moderator
Received 570 Votes on 523 Posts
Chimneys have caps that are usually made of mortar, sometimes with clay flues that have been mortared around.

If no maintenance is ever done, it's quite likely that the mortar cap is in a state of disrepair. Snow, rain, ice all take a toll, and if water is leaking down behind the brick, and it's repeatedly subjected to multiple freeze thaw cycles during the winter, it can cause the brick to blow up due to the high moisture content in the mortar between the bricks.