Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Interior Improvement Center > Walls and Ceilings
Reload this Page >

How to moisture proof your bathroom ceiling...

Old 03-16-20, 01:59 PM
M
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts

I'm using 5/8" drywall on my ceilings because I have trusses that are spaced 24" apart. My problem is no one in my area carries 5/8" green board for my bathroom ceiling, it would have to be special ordered. My lumber yard is checking on the price, if by chance the price is outrageous what else can I use? Could I use regular 5/8" drywall and water or moisture proof it with something?

Sponsored Links
Old 03-16-20, 02:04 PM
Received 189 Votes on 171 Posts
You should be able to use ordinary wallboard for a bathroom ceiling. Use a primer such as a Kilz product or Red Guard. Paint with a high quality paint. And most important is have a fan rated for the size bathroom and USE it! Start the fan when you in to take a bath or shower and keep in on at least 10 to 20 minutes after you leave the bathroom.

Old 03-16-20, 02:33 PM
Received 311 Votes on 291 Posts
First question, is the ceiling inside an enclosed shower stall? If so that portion would benefit from some type of barrier to the drywall.

Anything outside the shower stall really doesn't need anything, primer and good paint are sufficient to keep steam from getting to the drywall.

As noted a fan really helps get rid of the steam.

Old 03-16-20, 03:10 PM
Group Moderator
Received 576 Votes on 529 Posts
Green board should likely be a discontinued product by now. I don't know who would use it, or what they would use it for. It's old obsolete technology.

I would only use 5/8" mold resistant drywall in a bathroom. Gold bond XP or Sheetrock Mold Tough type X. Your interior wall and ceiling paint is the only vapor retarder (not barrier) that you need. (Its a Class III vapor retarder)

Old 03-16-20, 04:54 PM
S
Group Moderator
Received 94 Votes on 83 Posts
Quality enamel kitchen and bathroom paint. Zinsser Perma White is one of the best but limited in color choices.

Old 03-16-20, 08:31 PM
M
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
I thought that's what green board was, mold and moisture resistant, why don't they use it anymore? I'll have to ask my lumber yard if they can get Gold Bond XP or Sheetrock Mold Tough.
Yes there is a ceiling above the shower stall and I did install a new ceiling fan. I also heard of using Red Guard over regular drywall which I'll keep in mind. I'll keep you posted on what the lumber yard comes up with, thanks...

Old 03-16-20, 08:57 PM
Group Moderator
Received 576 Votes on 529 Posts
It's really not either of those things, but it was billed as being moisture resistant... and it probably was for a while. From what I can find, USG discontinued it in 2005 and quit recommending its use in wet locations. After tearing out many bathrooms that had it, I can see why.

Behind tile you would obviously want to use something else... cement board, Kerdi, Ditra, etc. They used to slap wall tile right on green board inside a shower. What a calamity.

Old 03-17-20, 02:43 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 261 Votes on 231 Posts
.... and green board doesn't accept paint as well as regular drywall. What makes it water resistant also makes it hard for primer to get a good bond. Generally a coat of primer and 1-2 coats of a latex enamel gives regular drywall all the moisture protection it needs, even over a shower stall.