Wall/window water damage


Old 04-05-20, 10:38 AM
Thread Starter
Join Date: Apr 2020
Posts: 1
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Wall/window water damage

Over the past several years I've noticed some wall deterioration at the corners of a window. While originally you could only see some warped paint, it's gotten worse over the years. I recently scraped off enough of the outside to see that there's underlying water damage, and I even noticed small holes where light was coming through from the outside. I tried inserting some wires/sticks through the holes to see exactly where they were leading outside, as shown in the pictures.

I'm wondering what the best way to seal the small holes in the wall would be (Inject some kind of putty/sealant from the inside? If so, what kind? Or is there a better recommendation?) and what the best course of action to plaster over the wall afterward would be. (I was thinking of using a drywall repair patch with joint compound).

Thanks in advance for any advice
Attached Images        
Sponsored Links
Old 04-05-20, 10:48 AM
XSleeper's Avatar
Group Moderator
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: USA
Posts: 25,474
Received 576 Votes on 529 Posts
Wow. Sad to say, that window and siding is a lost cause. The only real fix is replacement.
Old 04-05-20, 02:50 PM
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: USA
Posts: 4,746
Received 68 Votes on 63 Posts
Had to read this several times, you noticed this for years and just now addressing it!
That window is not even close to being installed correctly, and it's the wrong style window.
There's very likely now inside framing damage, insulation and mold and mildew issues from letting it go on that long.
No amount of calking and slapping something on the wall is going to fix this one.
Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Ask a Question
Question Title:
Your question will be posted in: