Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Interior Improvement Center > Walls and Ceilings
Reload this Page >

Loud bang last night, today crack in drywall

Loud bang last night, today crack in drywall

Old 04-10-20, 09:02 PM
D
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Exclamation Loud bang last night, today crack in drywall

Last night we heard a big boom that sounded like an interior door blew closed. It woke my husband up on the other side of the house from where I heard it. This evening, I noticed a crack on an interior wall that wasn't there when the room was painted 3 weeks ago. The wall is against a cathedral ceiling and at the end of a beam in the middle of that peak. The crack is probably 12-18 inches long coming down from the ceiling below that beam. Without calling in an engineer, does anyone have any idea what may have happened? Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Old 04-11-20, 12:45 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 62 Votes on 58 Posts
First guess is the house has settled and got to a point the drywall have out. I think noise was when drywall broke. Without knowing anything else about house just a guess.

Old 04-11-20, 03:17 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 268 Votes on 237 Posts
Welcome to the forums Debbie!
It would help to know about your house. how old? slab, basement or crawlspace? along with the area you are located in.

Old 04-11-20, 04:28 AM
Received 319 Votes on 299 Posts
It's not uncommon to hear noises as a house ages, settles, dries out. Wood is a natural material and is susceptible to the environment it resides in.

Worst case I had was a drywall crack in a hallway, every year it would come and go depending on the humidity. Our plank floors make more noise in the winter when it's dry despite humidifier then on a hot muggy July day.

Old 04-13-20, 12:45 AM
D
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Thanks, Marksr. Our house was built in 1984. It's built on a walk out basement. We're located in the St Louis, MO area.