Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Interior Improvement Center > Walls and Ceilings
Reload this Page >

Is it necessary to skim coat if you are going to spray texture?

Old 06-10-20, 09:10 AM
D
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts

There is a small hallway/entryway in my basement (about 12' long x 6' wide) that had wood paneling so I decided to pull it off just so it will have drywall like the rest of the house. The drywall under it looks pretty decent, and they actually taped all the joints and everything. I will just need to put another coat over the old seams because it looks like they just had one coat and I put some corner beads on the corners because nothing was there. Anyways, the paneling was glued on but it came off pretty easily with just small amounts of the glue stuck on the drywall which scraped off easily. It looks horrible with all the glue lines and everything but for the most part, the paper did not peel off and there aren't a bunch of holes. After I am done patching everything, I was going to put a coat of primer on before I texture just so I can see if I missed anything because it is hard to tell now with all of the glue swirls, splatter, etc. I am going to spray an orange peel texture on to match the rest of the house so my question is, do I need to skim coat it as long as all of the seams look good? I know texture won't hide ridges or anything, but I figured it would hide any small holes or imperfections in the old drywall and this is just a basement hallway so it is not like it is the living room or anything nice like that. What do you guys think?

Sponsored Links
Old 06-10-20, 11:14 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 261 Votes on 231 Posts
Most new textured houses aren't skim coated prior to spraying the texture. A skim coat will help you achieve a nicer finish but isn't a requirement. Texture only hides minor defects so it's best to make sure the wall's finishing is good before you spray.

Old 06-11-20, 01:10 AM
S
Group Moderator
Received 94 Votes on 83 Posts
Texture is usually an alternative to skim coating. As Mark said, though, it will only hide so much.