Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Interior Improvement Center > Walls and Ceilings
Reload this Page >

Interior OSB and Water-Based Paint - Structural Issue?

Interior OSB and Water-Based Paint - Structural Issue?

Old 06-20-20, 05:19 PM
A
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Talking Interior OSB and Water-Based Paint - Structural Issue?

Hello!
I've read here and there that people recommend oil-based paint for OSB, but I'm not clear if that's regarding the finish/surface quality vs ruining the OSB itself.

I've got an unfinished basement that has the OSB on non-engineered joists for a ceiling. I'm only interested in the color not being "wood" - the finish can be smooth/rough/whatever.

It sounds like it doesn't specifically matter on the joists directly but is there a "structural" risk of painting the OSB with water-based primer then paint? I saw something about fibers, etc being affected but is that just the surface "finish" and perhaps not the integrity of the wood.

I don't want to put a foot through my floor once I paint my basement ceiling.

Any thoughts would help. I'm trying to avoid oil due to accessible disposal facilities where I live.

Thank you!

Sponsored Links
Old 06-21-20, 04:09 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 261 Votes on 231 Posts
I doubt latex primer would hurt the OSB. Oil base primer is recommended because it does a better job of sealing the chips from the various species of wood and prevents tannin bleed. It will make the finish paint look nicer. Latex paint is fine for the fiinish.

Old 06-21-20, 04:44 AM
P
Group Moderator
Received 530 Votes on 487 Posts
I've never heard of paint hurting OSB and can't understand how it could. I use oil based primer because it stops the printing on the OSB from bleeding through.

Old 06-21-20, 10:35 AM
A
Thank you both! My concerns were primarily from this article: https://www.doityourself.com/stry/how-to-paint-osb (2nd part).

"while using water-based paint causes the OSB to peel over time, making it look unattractive and requiring regular maintenance."

I'm probably overthinking it a bit and maybe they meant that the paint peels, not the OSB. I've rarely heard of reckless paint techniques but the potential for delamination spooked me. Plus raising kids taught me that most of what I own isn't moisture-tolerant.

Was trying to keep my original post short but I used Kilz mold inhibitor wb-paint around the perimeter board that is sitting on the treated sill plate and transitioned up and over about 6" across the OSB ceiling. Started searching for best-methods to get paint on there and figured I should ask having read that snippet.

Thanks again for writing!

Old 06-21-20, 01:23 PM
P
Group Moderator
Received 530 Votes on 487 Posts
The big question is about moisture. Where is this OSB located or being used?

Old 06-21-20, 03:21 PM
A
It's my basement ceiling. Thankfully the basement is dry, house is about 30yrs old - the kilz was a precaution being the only exposed wood against the outside. Otherwise poured foundation, non-engineered joists. Just tired of the grime and moving to coat the place and brighten it up.

Old 06-22-20, 02:38 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 261 Votes on 231 Posts
Exterior OSB that isn't oil primed can absorb moisture thru the latex paint and swell if the conditions are right. I wouldn't expect that to be an issue with a basement ceiling. I would be concerned about tannin bleed and ink stamps bleeding thru white/pastel latex paint if an oil base primer isn't used first.

Old 06-22-20, 03:38 PM
A
Awesome, thank you both again! I'll have a go at the oil primer ; )