Mounting Speakers on the Wall

Old 07-06-20, 03:43 AM
J
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Mounting Speakers on the Wall

Hi everyone. I'm going to be mounting a pair of studio monitors/speakers on the wall. My walls are 1/2" drywall with aluminum studs. Each speaker weighs about 25 lbs and I'll be using these speaker brackets:

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/det...t-black-single

In the past when I've hung heavy things (50-60 lbs and up) on the wall, I've used a piece of 3/4" plywood bolted across two studs and then mounted the bracket(s) on that. Would a 25 lb speaker warrant this sort of a safeguard? Or would I be ok mounting the speaker brackets onto the drywall with heavy duty toggle bolts like the one in the attached image? One step up would be to toggle bolt a piece of 12"x12" plywood to the wall (not hitting studs) and mount the bracket on that. Seems like that would spread the pressure out over a larger area. I could do the plywood across two studs thing, but it wouldn't be as esthetically pleasing. Of course it would be more esthetically pleasing than a pair of speakers lying smashed on the floor in a pile of drywall shards and dust! But if mounting them directly on the wall with toggle bolts would be a safe bet, it would certainly make my life easier. All suggestions and/or advice welcomed and appreciated.

Last edited by Jonny Klobber; 07-06-20 at 03:50 AM. Reason: added details
Old 07-06-20, 04:55 AM
Received 1,210 Upvotes on 1,098 Posts
I have never mounted items to metal studs so I'm not able to judge their weight capacity.

The only issue I see is the mounting footprint of the brackets, are you able to get all 4 holes into the stud?

If not bridging across two studs would be safest option!

What brand is that anchor, I have never seen that before!

Old 07-06-20, 05:09 AM
J
Thanks, Marq1. The four bolts through the wall plate definitely wouldn't go into one aluminum stud. I was thinking that bolting the plywood to the wall and then the wall plate to the plywood would circumvent that. I could bolt the plywood to one stud and toggle bolt on the other side. I'm just wondering if there's a good chance I could just attach the plywood via four toggle bolts into the drywall (not hitting any studs) and then mount the speakers on the plywood. Would 25 lbs hanging on a 12" piece of 3/4" plywood affixed to the drywall with four toggle bolts be strong enough to hold without hitting any studs? You're right - it would definitely be the safest bet to go into two studs, and I could do that - it just wouldn't look very nice (even if I paint the plywood to match the wall). It would look much cleaner if the plywood could be centered on (and covered up by) the speaker when it's mounted, and this would mean not screwing into any studs.

Old 07-06-20, 05:13 AM
J
I believe this is the brand of anchor:

https://www.grainger.com/product/4E8...g!471571631001!

Old 07-06-20, 05:29 AM
Received 1,210 Upvotes on 1,098 Posts
Personally I would not attach just to the drywall!

Old 07-06-20, 05:33 AM
J
OK, one vote against then. Anybody else agree that I'd be taking too much of a risk by mounting to drywall only?

Old 07-06-20, 09:44 AM
T
Received 48 Upvotes on 41 Posts
More work but can you get to the other side of the wall? Cut through the drywall and install a 2X 6 or X 12 to the studs tight to the drywall on the good side then mount to that. It will be easy to mount one side of the 2 X to the flange of the stud. The other side you might have to enlarge the hole so you can get through the flange and web of the other side. Then patch the opening on the other side.Even better. On one side Screw from the finished side of the wall through the flange. On the other side mount a piece of seel stud so it will be back to back with the web on the side that is hard to get to then screw the new piece of steel stud to the existing one and the 2 X to that. Do this before you screw the studs together. I think someone who understands what I am talking about am make a drawing for you.This also gives you something to screw new drywall to when you do the patch. I guess come to think of it you could do all this from the good side too I can make a patch that won't show especially behind a speaker. If this sounds good to you we can tell you how to do itt,

Old 07-06-20, 09:59 AM
J
That does sound like more work! Unfortunately I can't get to the other side of the wall, as it's in my neighbor's apartment. So you're basically saying to reinforce the aluminum stud with lumber. That sounds like a great idea and would be very secure, but I think getting the 2x6 into the wall and then being able to fasten it, would involve cutting a pretty good-sized hole and I am not very good at doing patches. If I can do this without cutting into the drywall, I'd be much happier. :-)

How do you feel about my idea of taking a 12"x12" piece of plywood (or better yet, I have a source for prefinished maple) and screwing through that into the aluminum stud on one side and then toggle bolting the other side to the drywall, and then bolting the mounting bracket to the center of the wood square? If that sounds too risky then I can bolt across two studs for each speaker. I'll just have to deal with the wood sticking out a good ways beyond what the speakers can cover. So I'd likely then paint it or be sure to pick out some especially nice maple scraps...

Old 07-06-20, 10:31 AM
J
I took a few pics. Not sure if I can upload them to the site? The problem is really with one side. The left and right speakers would both be mounted near the corners of the wall, one on either side. On one side, there's a stud in the corner and a stud 18" in from that. So I can certainly have a piece of wood cut that is 12" x 18" or so and bolt across both of those... But the other side is sort of bizarre. In the corner, it would seem there would have to be a stud, right? Well, not according to the magnet I use to find aluminum studs. Could it be a random wooden stud? I guess I'll have to drill into it and find out. And to make things even a little more annoying, the first stud in from that is a good 22" in. So I'd have to have a 22"+ long piece of wood cut for that side, and from what I can see, it might only be able to bolt to one stud (unless there is a stud in the corner, which I would think there would have to be). So this is why I had the idea of just going into one stud for each speaker, using 12"x12" pieces of plywood that could screw into the stud on one side and toggle bolt to drywall on the other.

Old 07-06-20, 11:28 AM
Group Moderator
Received 3,922 Upvotes on 3,518 Posts
Yes...you can upload pictures here....... How-to-insert-pictures.

Old 07-06-20, 12:09 PM
J
Thanks, Pete.

This is the left side. My magnet is not detecting a stud in the corner. The square is the piece of maple or plywood and I've indicated how I'd like to attach it to the wall.

This is the right side. Pardon the crooked line for the stud in the corner. The line is off but the stud is fine. :-)

Old 07-06-20, 12:13 PM
J
Sorry the squares aren't even close to scale. D'oh.

Old 07-06-20, 03:21 PM
Group Moderator
Received 874 Upvotes on 737 Posts
The studs are not aluminum they are steel. Aluminum studs would be horribly expensive.

If you can get two screws to hit a stud you will likely be OK. For the screws on drywall only I would recommend these: https://www.lowes.com/pd/TOGGLER-10-...cluded/3183815 Togglers can also be purchased other places. They hold very well.

Old 07-06-20, 03:36 PM
J
Cool - thanks Tolyn. I'll order some of those togglers now - I appreciate the tip. And right - steel not aluminum. I had no idea - just knew they were metal. :-)

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: