Painting over floor adhesive?

Old 07-07-20, 07:20 PM
A
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Painting over floor adhesive?

I accidentally went at some cracks inside of a neglected closet with vinyl flooring adhesive instead of spackle (I have many lame excuses - similar container to Drydex, inattentiveness, low lighting, late night, forgot I even had a tub of adhesive). The closet interior is now covered with large sticky spots. Can I just paint or spackle over the adhesive? This does not have to be a "correct" or lifelong fix - but I'd like to make the closet usable and not sticky. I'd like to avoid a major adhesive removal project. Any advice appreciated.

Sponsored Links
Old 07-08-20, 02:14 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 256 Votes on 226 Posts
If I'm not mistaken most vinyl adhesives are water soluble, if so it shouldn't be overly difficult to remove it.

Old 07-08-20, 04:04 AM
Received 309 Votes on 289 Posts
This does not have to be a "correct" or lifelong fix
Dont take this personally but IMO coming to a DIY site where all the participants really try to offer "good" advise then asking for a hack repair kind of goes against the grain.

You created a mess for what ever the reason, the best advise is to find a solvent to remove and then go back to the correct solution.

Old 07-08-20, 04:30 AM
M
Received 144 Votes on 131 Posts
Why not just install some vinyl after all you probably still have some glue left.