Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Interior Improvement Center > Walls and Ceilings
Reload this Page >

Questionable condition on drywall and stucco

Old 09-29-20, 03:05 PM
S
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts

Drywall between next to a washer/dryer has an odd condition. Hard to describe so posted pictures. The outer stucco also has a bubbling effect. A contractor recommended removing the section and patching it. Any ideas what could cause this condition?

Sponsored Links
Old 09-29-20, 03:28 PM
Group Moderator
Received 675 Votes on 624 Posts
My guess would be that your dryer vent is partially plugged and moist air is being forced into the wall cavity. If you remove the outside part of your dryer vent, it should have a 10 - 12" sheetmetal duct attached to the exterior louver that extends all the way through your wall to the interior side. A ring (washer) is then siliconed to the wall to seal up the penetration. Your flexible duct attaches to that, so if it was hooked up properly, no air would be forced into the wall.

What I see is the flexible duct going into the wall. And I see a lot of lint on the outside of your dryer vent. You probably don't have the 10 - 12" sheetmetal ductwork. So I would start by replacing the dryer vent hood.

Last edited by XSleeper; 09-29-20 at 07:22 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 09-29-20, 03:54 PM
Received 371 Votes on 346 Posts
Get rid of that plastic duct, they are a fire hazard and are prone to plug up with lint.

Old 09-30-20, 06:35 AM
S
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Thank you both for your replies. Should the section of the wall be replaced?

Old 09-30-20, 10:21 AM
Group Moderator
Received 675 Votes on 624 Posts
The way the paint blistered your biggest problem is scraping the old paint and getting it smooth. I doubt the drywall needs to be replaced unless it's soft... You probably just need to skim it with some joint compound and sand it to get it smooth again before you prime and paint.