Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

drywall mistakes

's Avatar
Visiting Guest

06-15-01, 06:34 PM   #1  
I purchased a home where the owners started to sheetrock a room, the compound is hard dry and lumpy in several spots on the wall and most of the ceiling. It looks like they put a whole lot in some areas and never got around to sanding it. What can I do other than taken it down and putting up new sheetrock? Is there a way to sand the old compound down and apply new compound, then sand and paint the wall. I haven't used the room because of the wall, but I GOT a good deal on the house as is.

Sponsored Links
's Avatar
Visiting Guest

06-15-01, 10:30 PM   #2  
Hello,

If its just dry joint compound then, yes, you can simply sand and re-finish the wall. If the wall had damage and the previous owner botched a repair with something like fix-all, you will be unable to sand it.

Once you get started sanding, you may end up deciding to re-rock the entire room. Sanding can be a real pain. I'd recommend a belt sander with a heavy grit. Once your done with the sanding, and the wall is nearly smooth, you can then either attempt to skim coat to perfectly smooth, or texture.

Good Luck!

06-16-01, 05:32 AM   #3  
a belt sander?with heavy grit?.talkin sheet rock here not wood

's Avatar
Visiting Guest

06-16-01, 08:36 AM   #4  
Good point,

I use the belt sander for jobs like the one described because its much faster. Large area sanding makes me impatient. But, you do need to be carefull not to sand too much in any one area, keep moving and use a light pressure. It may be wiser to use a palm sander, especially if you haven't done a lot of drywall sanding before.

Search this Thread