Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Interior Improvement Center > Walls and Ceilings
Reload this Page >

What options are there for kitchen ceilings?

Old 07-11-21, 07:17 AM
M
Received 6 Upvotes on 6 Posts

hey guys, our 2nd floor kitchen has 12x12 cardboard tiles, I would like to put a flat ceiling under that with which will look good. I will only do sheet rocking as a last resort as this will involve having to compound, sand and paint. Suspended ceiling will not work also.

I need a sheet of some kind which I can simply screw unto the exiting ceiling's studs, what materials or options can I use for this please?

Old 07-11-21, 07:20 AM
P
Group Moderator
Received 2,154 Upvotes on 1,929 Posts
In what condition is your current ceiling? Are all the tiles firmly in place and flush or have some swelled or started to fall down? That will help you determine how "strong" your new ceiling material needs to be. Or, you can remove the current squares which could free you up to more choices.

mikehende voted this post useful.
Old 07-11-21, 07:25 AM
Group Moderator
Received 877 Upvotes on 740 Posts
You could do tongue and groove which can be prefinished or finished after install. You could do beadboard which is similar to tongue and groove only thinner. There are many surface installed options out there, it all depends on your skillset and tools available.

Example:
https://www.armstrongceilings.com/re...2%3Anull%7D%7D

Old 07-11-21, 07:38 AM
M
Received 6 Upvotes on 6 Posts
Yes, some has started to loosen so we screwed them back so they are flat. Looking up on Beadboards, far as I am understanding it's designed more for walls than ceiling or does that not matter?

https://www.homedepot.com/b/Lumber-C...toreSelection=

Old 07-11-21, 07:45 AM
Group Moderator
Received 1,910 Upvotes on 1,716 Posts
All depends on the look you're after. My folks had it in the kitchen in their previous house.

Old 07-11-21, 09:49 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 835 Upvotes on 732 Posts
I have beadboard on my front porch ceiling - I like how it looks. My son's house has T&G pine on his walls and ceilings - one of the reasons he bought the house.

Old 07-11-21, 02:00 PM
Group Moderator
Received 877 Upvotes on 740 Posts
Beadboard has been popular on ceilings for a hundred years, especially when painted. The added textures of T&G and beadboard is quite popular these days.

Old 07-11-21, 02:28 PM
P
Group Moderator
Received 2,154 Upvotes on 1,929 Posts
I have beadboard ceiling in one of my bathrooms and it looks great. And, if you do real beadboard it will be quite strong and could be installed over your existing though you could preserve a bit more headroom if you remove the current ceiling before installing the new.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: