Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Interior Improvement Center > Walls and Ceilings
Reload this Page >

Wall on Slab - Leveler Covering Drywall

Old 01-27-22, 08:50 PM
J
Upvotes: 0
Received 2 Upvotes on 2 Posts

I'm replacing flooring in one room that is on a slab, with two walls being exterior walls. I pulled up the old laminate and discovered the previous owner used some concrete underlayment to level out the floor along the ~28ft of exterior walls. Problem is they just covered up the bottom of the drywall.

I know it's typical/recommended to install drywall with a gap, especially when it's on a slab. So this bugs me. I did notice some seeping water near the sliding door (foreground of picture), which is a result of a bad piece of siding and lack of weatherproofing I need to fix. I cut back 1/2" of drywall in the area just to check on the sill plate and it looked okay. Everything else looks okay...but of course it's hard to tell because it's all sealed by the underlayment.

What would you do? Leave it? Go around and cut in a 1/2" gap? A little tedious but may not take too long with a multitool and knife. The little bit I did with a blade alone was more work than I thought. There is some sort of vapor barrier under the drywall that comes down over the the sill and out onto the slab. It likely wouldn't survive my cutting, but may not be a problem. I couldn't find a wall detail example that showed any sort of vapor barrier like that. House was built in '91.

Old 01-27-22, 08:58 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,744 Upvotes on 1,568 Posts
Leave it. It's not really an issue.

Cutting it would be an exercise in futility. You aren't going to be able to remove the drywall that's trapped in there so what's the point.

Old 01-27-22, 09:25 PM
J
Upvotes: 0
Received 2 Upvotes on 2 Posts
Fair enough! It does seem a little overkill do go through all that effort but thought I would get some input. Looks like the underlayment is ~1/4" max based on the original baseboard marks, so the drywall isn't trapped that much. Anyway, I'll ignore it and move on with the project! Thanks!

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: