Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Interior Improvement Center > Walls and Ceilings
Reload this Page >

Is it possible to soundproof a ceiling against impact-noise from above?

Is it possible to soundproof a ceiling against impact-noise from above?

Old 07-03-22, 07:05 AM
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Post Is it possible to soundproof a ceiling against impact-noise from above?

120sq' room. Apartment rental, so I can't make a drop-ceiling. I was told that adhering a layer of drywall to the ceiling with Green Glue might be useful. What would standard-thickness drywall cost for this? I likely would have to use thinner drywall and am not sure if this would be useful. What would be a minimum thickness, and what would be the cost of this? I'd do this myself. The impact-noise is caused by 3 children above running/jumping/etc. 90 year old house.

Old 07-03-22, 07:17 AM
Received 1,210 Upvotes on 1,098 Posts
A layer of drywall added to a ceiling will have minimal, if any improvements for a situation as you describe. It's the structure of the building/house that would have to be improved.

If it was noise from a radio you might see a little improvement but the thicker the material the better.

101090 voted this post useful.
Old 07-03-22, 08:14 AM
P
Group Moderator
Received 2,144 Upvotes on 1,920 Posts
If you are in a rental I think most options are off the table as they require physically altering or modifying the building. Worth considering if you own the place but your essentially talking about a pretty major remodeling project to gain any noticeable results.

Old 07-03-22, 08:23 AM
Thank you for all of this.
I read that Green Glue itself is impact-sound-reducing. So I wonder if a thick layer of that glue between the drywall and the ceiling would be useful. I just learned about that glue today and saw a video-demonstration of it. I suppose that the glue absorbs some of the impact-sound? This seems to be a newer thing and I saw some good reviews but am not sure.

Old 07-03-22, 08:51 AM
Group Moderator
Received 1,905 Upvotes on 1,711 Posts
Another layer of 5/8 drywall and green glue would help "some". Nothing is going to eliminate or significantly reduce stomping noise. The sound is being transfered not just through the drywall but vibrations in the framing as well. Everything is interconnected.

Old 07-03-22, 09:11 AM
Thanks for this.

Since the impact-sound would be like three 20-40 pound rubber mallets hundreds of times a day, I was hoping for a 50% reduction of the sound with the drywall and Green Glue. Seems like this isn't possible?

Would the best option be to ask the people who live above (they're the homeowners) to place a thick ~ 110sq' carpet above the bedroom? Is there a particular thickness that would be needed, such as 1/2". Likely a thin floor-rug wouldn't do anything.

Old 07-03-22, 10:12 AM
Received 1,210 Upvotes on 1,098 Posts
Would the best option be to ask the people who live above (they're the homeowners) to place a thick ~ 110sq' carpet above the bedroom?
I'd be buying them one!

Old 07-03-22, 11:49 AM
H
Received 292 Upvotes on 250 Posts
One good thing - the owners is upstairs, so they're easy to get in touch with. I'd ask them to consider some carpet padding, and area rug, or perhaps even an interlocking 'soft mat' system

Worst case, I'd offer to buy it, then have them reduce the rent, OR you take it with you when you leave.
https://www.amazon.com/Best-Choice-P...s%2C87&sr=1-28

Another solution I'd seen for a friend's home zoom meeting / recording studio, was to purchase some anti-acoutstic / soundproofing tile and use those Command-Stip / velcro no-mess strips to attach tiles to the ceiling to deaden the sound. Ceiling looks a bit weird, but apparently it does work.

Old 07-03-22, 06:40 PM
Good idea about offering to buy them one.
Thanks for the ideas on which types of carpet/padding.
About the acoustic option, the sound is impact-sound, rather than airborne sound. I was told that the anti-acoustics work for airborne sound (music, etc) but not for impact-sound. So I don't think that adhering anti-acoustics to my ceiling would help with the impact-sound from above?

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: