Removing wall paper and repainting

Old 08-07-22, 06:24 PM
I
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Removing wall paper and repainting

Trying to help my son and daughter in law refinish the master bedroom in a 1960 home. The walls have 2 or 3 layers of wall paper and several layers of paint. Using a steamer, my wife and daughter in law have removed the multiple layers down to the dry wall. The drywall is sound but but pretty rough. I am guessing that I am going to have to skim coat it to get a surface that is good enough to paint. Do I have any other options; perhaps a thicker primer that would smooth out the surface or a lightly textured wall paper that we could paint over? We are here for another 5 days.
Appreciate any comments

Old 08-07-22, 07:05 PM
Group Moderator
Received 874 Upvotes on 737 Posts
Anything you paint on will likely leave nubs and fuzzies. You may be able to sand them off after it is dry but only you will be able to assess that. Otherwise, your only option is to skim the entire wall(s)

Old 08-07-22, 07:18 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,905 Upvotes on 1,711 Posts
We can't see it, so no good way to advise you. If there is still wallpaper sizing on the walls it will usually feel rough like sandpaper. Sanding the walls is almost certainly advisable. Skimming "might" be advisable, or a coat of Gardz might be all you need.

Old 08-07-22, 07:40 PM
I
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Thanks for the comments guys. Will probably try gardz tomrrow after we finish the wall paper removal and patching nail holes etc.

Old 08-08-22, 01:52 AM
S
Group Moderator
Received 1,262 Upvotes on 1,203 Posts
Primer does not build to enough depth to effectively smooth a damaged surface. While there is nothing wrong with a coat of Gardz to seal any exposed gypsum, I would not hold my breath that this is going to keep you from applying a skim coat of mud.

Old 08-08-22, 02:30 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 832 Upvotes on 729 Posts
I generally sand the walls, apply a coat of gardz and then evaluate what needs to be done next. Gardz will not make the wall smoother but will effectively seal any leftover adhesive along with any bare gypsum.

Old 08-08-22, 09:53 AM
T
Received 48 Upvotes on 41 Posts
You can try finding FibaFuse. Not fiberglass woven mesh but scrim mat in non woven random strands. Use some thick bodied paint or joint compound and apply this similarly to wall paper. This will leave a nice surface that can be painted. I use the stuff a lot for patching drywall holes up to about 16” square. i find it faster than taping four joints around the perimeter. It is used in some markets for just what you describe. I hear it is hard to find the 36” rolls and you may not be able to find them in your time frame. I also hear that some Sherwin Williams stores stock it.
This might be just what you need otherwise skimming is in order. This will be cheaper than FibaFuse but will take more skill.
Oh, I also heard but have not confirmed that a similar material in nylon rather than fiberglass exists. It would be nicer to handle than the FFuse if true.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: