Removing second floor

Old 05-02-24, 05:26 PM
F
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Cool Removing second floor

Thinking of renovating my shop and this is the delima
Main floor is 8 high with 2x6 walls at 24 Centers with a double 2x6 header then 2x10 floor joists on top with a single 2x6 header on top of that . The second floor is a knee wall thats 7 high and also 2x6 wall. The upper and lower studs all line up with each other and the roof trusses are W truss every 48
If I decide to remove the second floor, can I cistern the studs or do I need to replace or what are my options ?
Thx in advance

Old 05-02-24, 11:46 PM
Group Moderator
Received 4,057 Upvotes on 3,640 Posts
Welcome to the forums.

I'm getting a hazy picture of what you have based solely on your description.
A few pictures would be extremely helpful...... How to insert pictures.

Old 05-03-24, 06:11 AM
P
Group Moderator
Received 2,236 Upvotes on 1,995 Posts
Which studs are you asking about sistering? The first or second floor?

Why are you removing the second floor? Are you planning on adding extra floors above?

Old 05-03-24, 05:08 PM
F
I’m having issues navigating around the form and adding pic . Must be my lack of computer use lol.
Plz be patience and I’ll see if can add some pics

Old 05-03-24, 05:18 PM
F

Old 2 floor chicken barn, converting to shop. I was able to install 14x12 door without removing the floor yet.

View from second floor looking down after removing the plywood flooring

Main floor looking up

Old 05-03-24, 07:54 PM
Group Moderator
Received 4,057 Upvotes on 3,640 Posts
Good pictures.

I can't see the roof.
If you remove those floor joists what will hold the building from bellying out ?
Those act to keep the building square.

I'm not the pro here but I imagine you will need to leave some in place for stability.

Old 05-04-24, 05:48 AM
P
Group Moderator
If you are removing the second floor I'm having a hard time understanding why you'd want or need to sister the joists on the first floor. By removing the upper walls you are reducing the weight/load on the lower walls so additional strengthening won't be necessary unless there is something you aren't telling us.

Old 05-04-24, 06:27 AM
B
Received 310 Upvotes on 275 Posts
It appears you did not have this building built or did you? You can't remove the first floor ceiling joists because they are the only things holding the side walls together. The construction at the ends of the joists is not the best as the joists are resting on a 2x6 minus the collar board. Are the first floor studs 1 or 2 pieces? If 1, what is the brace near the top between studs for? How are the end walls peaks supported to prevent horizontal movement?

Old 05-05-24, 06:11 PM
F
The building was professionally built in 1970. The braces near the top of the studs are for a manual operated eternal cross ventilation system that’s been removed.
I was hoping to box in the header between the two floors where the upper and lower studs attach and use hurricane braces to reinforce everything together.
Second option would be to remove that header and use the 2x8 from the floor Removeal and use them to cistern the upper and lower studs together as one and maybe a 45 degree brace from stud to the roof truss. This was suggested by a contractor .

Old 05-06-24, 06:47 AM
B
Sorry, I am still not sure about your objective. Your photos are not showing the full width inside. Is it you want the ceiling to be 15 feet throughout the whole building. If so, how do you plan to prevent the side walls from bulging out. How would you brace the peak at the ends?

Old 05-06-24, 08:17 AM
P
Group Moderator
I am still confused why you are wanting to remove the second floor? Do you just want to make the building shorter?

cistern: is a storage tank for water
sister: is a term for attaching a additional structural member to extend or strengthen the existing structure

Old 05-06-24, 09:14 AM
F
Sorry, spell correct
Sister the studs lol , making the building from a two story to a single story with approx 16 ceilings .
The ends of the building are already closed in and structurally sound.
The building has no structural supports inside for the roof, its an open span like a ballon structure
These pics are from the second floor, just finished replacing the tin on the ceiling and installed highbay LED lights.
Would like to get most of the work done here before removing the floor
Thx for all the comments and suggestions 👍

Old 05-06-24, 09:43 AM
P
Group Moderator
Ah, so you aren't making the building any shorter. You just want to remove the elevated cross structure (floor). So, you have a ceiling in place at the base of the roof correct? This should have joists spanning from wall to wall and form the bottom of the triangular roof area. It is that ceiling that will prevent the roof from pushing the walls out. So, you problem now is to prevent the joint in the outer walls from blowing out when the intermediate joists are removed.

" ...the roof, it’s an open span like a ballon structure..."
Balloon refers to how a wall is framed. It really doesn't have anything to do with the roof. You haven't shown us any photos of the roof support but it sounds like it might be stick built and not trussed similar to the photo below?

Below is a drawing that shows what balloon framing is. It's when the wall joists extend from floor all the way to the roof and intermediate floors are attached to the unbroken vertical studs. Your barn is platform framed like shown on the left. This greatly complicates your wanting to remove the intermediate floor.

First, I'd go around the outside of the building and remove the siding in the region of the intermediate floor you want to remove. Or, at the minimum remove any fasteners holding the siding in this area. Remove ONE horizontal floor joist from the intermediate floor. Then cut the rim joist and top & bottom plates on either side of ONE and only one joist that coincides with the floor joist you removed. Remove the rim joist and plate pieces you just cut.

Now you are left with a gap between the top and bottom studs. Cut a piece of 2x6 the exact length to fill this gap. Then sister a long 2x6 to the side over the area. You want a minimum of 3' of sistered joist above and below the repair area but I'd do more. I'd probably use 8' or 12' long 2x6 as the sisters.

Once you have completed this procedure for one joist you can do the next. Only do this work one joist at a time since you are obviously removing the structure holding up the roof AND the structure that was keeping the wall from bowing at the joint in the middle.

Old 05-06-24, 04:52 PM
B
I am not a structural engineer but before I put all the work/material in to go from a platform framing to balloon framing, I would consult with a structural engineer. The roof design was based on a structural first floor ceiling being installed. If the first floor ceiling is removed, is the roof structure adequate to retain the side walls. In addition, if this is being done with a permit, what will the inspector accept.

Old 05-07-24, 05:55 PM
F
You are correct regarding a platform framing, thx for the correction. Over the next couple weeks hope to remove the outer steel siding in the area of the rim joist and get a better view of the overall project. I’ll keep u informed of the progress. 👍

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: