Panel joint right above opening edge

Old 06-14-24, 09:52 PM
A
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Panel joint right above opening edge

Hello

Looking for some advice on drywalls I just hung. I realized the drywall panel joint is not supposed to line up to the edge of opening. The living room wall had drywall and wood paneling and I removed the wood panelings only, but because wood floor does not extend to the drywall behind, I had to add another layer of 1/2” drywall over existing drywall to cover the floor gap. I wonder, should I reposition the top section of the drywall so the joints are away from the edge? Or will paper tape be enough to prevent cracks from happening. Or any type of compound that is strong to use behind the paper tape. I also wonder would the old layer of drywall behind offer some rigidity so the panel joint won’t cause any crack?

And I have also reached out to a few local contractors in Los Angeles, since I am a bit tired and don’t want to deal with repositioning the drywalls. The contractors had quoted me about 2800 to get the walls ready for paint and paint for this one wall, plus a bathroom that had drywalls hung (bathroom has about 130 sq ft of drywall). I wonder if this price is reasonable. Sounds a bit high. I have been slowly doing bathroom renovation since middle of last year and just started hanging the drywall for the last month, I am a little bit exhausted from the renovation as I am encountering some hurdles here and there due to lack of knowledge. I am just thinking if applying paper tape or using some other compound would prevent crack, then I could probably sleep it off and have a fresh set of mind to handle it tomorrow. I’m just “close” to the finish line it would be nice to get it done perfectly.

Any advice would be really really appreciated.

Thanks,
Annie

Old 06-15-24, 03:33 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 875 Upvotes on 766 Posts
I wouldn't be overly concerned since you have 2 layers of drywall ... assuming the joints are staggered between the 2 layers. FibaFuse tape is easier to use than paper tape and preforms as well. I'd shy away from the sticky tape.
https://www.lowes.com/pd/Saint-Gobai...E&gclsrc=aw.ds

Old 06-15-24, 04:12 AM
A
marksr oh I’ll have to look into that tape. Thank you so much!

Old 06-15-24, 05:05 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 875 Upvotes on 766 Posts
I didn't think to mention you still need paper tape for the corners.

Old 06-15-24, 07:48 AM
A
marksr got it yea I assumed that would be necessary. This is helpful thanks again!

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: