Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Interior Improvement Center > Walls and Ceilings
Reload this Page >

Sudden strange pattern on interior wall

Old 06-16-24, 03:06 PM
G
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts

My husband I I bought this house built around the late 1980s. Today we noticed this very strange pattern on the wall in our room. He has been in the attic and checked for anything with burnt wires, water or the such. The switch inside is dry and no burnt wires.
Has anyone seen this type if thing before?
Please help
Thanks

Old 06-16-24, 05:24 PM
Group Moderator
Received 4,152 Upvotes on 3,729 Posts
Welcome to the forums.

That looks like water damage.

Old 06-16-24, 07:19 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,975 Upvotes on 1,771 Posts
Kind of looks like an electrician cut out a path for his wire then there was a really bad drywall repair that followed.

Wayne Mitchell voted this post useful.
Old 06-17-24, 02:28 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 875 Upvotes on 766 Posts
Looks like water damage to me also although there are no water stains.
Are the wrinkles soft or hard?

Old 06-17-24, 03:25 AM
B
Received 322 Upvotes on 284 Posts
What is the watts each switch in photo controls?

Old 06-17-24, 03:27 AM
M
Received 302 Upvotes on 272 Posts
I would tape a piece of plastic over the damaged area and leave it for a fer days. If moisture shows up on the backside of the plastic then it is water damage, If none shows up then odds it is a poor drywall repair.

Old 06-18-24, 04:16 PM
T
Received 55 Upvotes on 46 Posts
So you have lived here more than thirty years and this is a new development? If it is new it must be water damage . Water is running down the wall and loosening the paint from the drywall or plaster. I bet if you had timed this right you could have poked a hole in one of those blisters and seen water run out. Is this an outside wall? Also it looks to me like the switch plate screws are rusty.

If Xsleeper is correct this must have been done with a 1” putty knife. But I am holding out for water.

You want to fix this so I would forego the plastic and just peel off the loose paint. Then see what you have. Check that switch box again for signs that water has gotten in. It seems odd that water runs down right into a switch box. Anyway do some minor exploratory surgery and find the problem then solve the leak. Then fix the wall. We can tell you how to do it.
If Xsleeper is right then breathe a sigh of relief and scrape it off and we can tell you how to fix it.

Old 06-18-24, 04:27 PM
T
IF you look on the patching and plastering forum for a thread titled something like this: “Just found this on bathroom wall: is it efflorescence?” You will get another example of water loosening paint from behind. Sorry I don’t know how to link to the thread.

Old 06-18-24, 05:13 PM
D
Group Moderator
Received 291 Upvotes on 230 Posts
Tightcoat, if you know where the thread is, just open the thread & highlight the information in the address bar. It will be https://www.doityourself.com/forum/ etc, etc.....
Then copy it (shortcut to copy is the ctrl key & the "C' key at the same time).
Then just put your cursor in the text box in this thread & paste it. (Again: ctrl & the "V").

(the ctrl key & C will copy....... ctrl & "V" will paste)

Old 06-19-24, 05:15 PM
T
I imagine anyone who cares has already found this.

just noticed this on bathroom wall; is it efflorescence?

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: