Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

skim coating on walls with wall paper removed

's Avatar
Visiting Guest

07-27-01, 05:42 PM   #1  
I was wondering if anyone knows how to skim coat over dry wall. I had wall paper over my entire house and when I removed it there are spots where old paint is coming up and there is paper exposed. I heard that I should just skim coat over the entire wall but don't know how to do it. Any suggestions? I eventually will paint all the walls.

Sponsored Links
's Avatar
Visiting Guest

07-28-01, 12:47 PM   #2  
Hi ronin1a,a skim coat is a coat of joint compound put on the drywall to cover imperfections in the wall.Your going to need a drywall pan and some tapering knifes,and some joint compound.Put some joint compound(mud)in the pan and add a little water to it.Not a lot just a little to make the mud a little smoother.Adding a drop of dishwashing soap will help take out the air bubbles.Once you have the mud the texture you want using a 8 or 12 inch tapering knife apply it to the wall with your knife at about 45 degrees.the idea is to cover the section of the wall that has the imperfections and make it as smooth as the other drywall.Once it drys do a light sanding using drywall sandpaper to take out the ridges caused by the tapering knife.Dont put the mud on to thick,put it on thin you just want to Skim the mud over the drywall.If you still see the imperfections after you sand you can always add some more mud to that area.It takes a while to get use to it,but after a while you'll get the hang of it.

Good Luck

Search this Thread