Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

joint compound over old paint

's Avatar
Visiting Guest

07-30-01, 11:47 AM   #1  
I got myself into a real mess. I had wall paper on my walls and it came off really hard. I have quite a few nicks that I need to repair. That isn't the problem though. Under the wall paper was what looks like a really BAD paint job. It is flaking and coming off. There are areas that I can take a putty knife too but other area that the paint is sticking too good. My question is if I need to remove all the paint before I patch and skim coat the walls or if I can just sand the paint where it is already flaking and then patch/skim coat.

PS I tried to peel the paint on one section of the wall and ended up having to dig out the entire joint seem and then redo it. I don't want to do that to the rest of my house!

Sponsored Links
's Avatar
Visiting Guest

08-08-01, 03:05 PM   #2  
Take a sanding sponge and lightly sand area. Apply a coat of Gard Z from Zinsser(this product will keep the drywall paper and old paint from bubbling) apply a skim coat of mud, two if needed, prime & finish paint.

Good Luck

Search this Thread