Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Interior Improvement Center > Walls and Ceilings
Reload this Page >

roof,floor,walls all bad.where do i start?

roof,floor,walls all bad.where do i start?

Old 08-11-01, 08:17 PM
Visiting Guest
Question

100 yr old house.rock foundation.3 layers of shingles on roof.bad sagging in the middle.interior walls have bad bulge in them also.floor not level or flat in any direction.HELP.where do i start first.

Old 08-11-01, 09:14 PM
Visiting Guest
guess i should have mentioned.this problem is in the laundry room only.not the whole house thank god.if it was the whole house the only tool i would need to fix it would be a can of gas.KIDDING!

Old 08-12-01, 03:39 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Upvotes: 0
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Cool

A. Repair the roof first.
B. Then start with the flooring sub-structure and work your way up from there.
Good Luck!

Old 08-12-01, 04:11 PM
Visiting Guest
as you might tell from my nickname im lost as far as what to do first.tear off all shingles down to the bare wood?

Old 08-12-01, 06:21 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Upvotes: 0
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Cool

Yes.
Tear off all three layers of shingles, and replace the rotted roof rafters and sheathing, before laying down your roofing felt and new shingles.
There is a tool that resembles a flathead shovel specifically for removing shingles that will make the job go much faster on the tear-off.
From your description, you probably also need to remove the interior ceiling and walls for a major rebuilding of this laundry room.
I would rip all of the old stuff off and out, and start at the foundation, and rebuild the structure. With the sagging and bulging that you describe (probably from a long-time leaking roof) you also may have termite damage.
I think that you may need a pro general contractor for all of this. They will have the expertise and equipment. You are facing a major project, and if you "dontknownothin", then your role may be limited to demolition and cleanup.
Good Luck!

Old 08-12-01, 06:37 PM
Visiting Guest
sounds like a good idea.i thank you for your time and knowledge.

best regards ,
steve

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: