help needed with drywall......

Old 08-22-01, 10:17 PM
cactopher
Visiting Guest
Question

I have recently removed the plaster and lathing in an upstairs bedroom(fun,fun), and I think that putting up drywall is going to be more of a task than I had anticipated. The plaster varied in thickness from 1/4 in. to almost an inch on some walls!!!! The wall studs are very uneven (vertically). How can I get a good flat surface to hang the drywall from?

Old 08-23-01, 07:31 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Cool

I can think of more than one way to do it, but this is one way, and what I would do, to do it right, permanently.
Pull a string to nails-at-the-corners across the walls about half-way up, allowing it to touch the most protruding stud.
Screw/nail new studs to the existing studs, so that they all touch the string, actually creating new plumb and level wall framing.
Use a 4' level to get them perfect.
Shim with lathe where you can on the outside surface of the existing studs, or use a new stud sistered to the old ones.
I'm not a pro, and they will probably have better suggestions in here, but that's what I would do.
Good Luck! Mike

Old 09-07-01, 12:03 PM
rbisys
Visiting Guest
The previous way is good. When redoing old walls and this problem exists I use a minimal expanding foam along the "low" stud lines and screw to the high studs. The foam will glue the drwall to the studs and provide a solid surface when dry. It's permanent. If you use more than one sheet of drywall horizontally such as an 8' and 4' on a 12' wall, be sure to stagger your butt lines otherwise you'll have a bad tape job

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: