Putting new siding on old garage

Old 08-24-01, 06:28 PM
Visiting Guest
We have an old garage that is sided in some kind of "crumbly-old siding!" If we want to re-side with vinyl, how do we proceed? Under the siding is just some kind of "paper", and we will remove all that. Do we line the outside of garage with a liner before putting on the vinyl? Or do you recommend a different type of siding -- metal? We live in Chicago, so we get pretty extreme weather both ways. What can we do if we want more insulation from temperatures before we do siding? Please respond ASAP. Thank you very much. MJ Lindsey

Sponsored Links
Old 08-25-01, 03:07 AM
uh...is there any sheathing on this garage ?do you use it for any thing else but storage- eg workshop etc?if there is no sheathing on it why dont you consider t111 sposed to say t one eleven which is a kind of siding with grooves it it for looks.

Old 08-25-01, 02:31 PM
Visiting Guest
new siding garage

No, there is no sheathing on the garage. And yes, I would like more insulation because I have a work room in there. What kind of sheathing should we get? What is OSB? Should we put building paper on top of that before the siding?
Thanks. MJ

Old 08-26-01, 04:01 AM
i would use 1/2 inch osb, typar or tyveck whatever brand you get there before i put vinyl siding on.if you really want a good warm garage insulate then hang sheetrock.
osb is short for oriented strand board.wood chips glued together and pressed good stuff,not as good as plywood in my opinion but we sure do use alot of it here for walls and roof decks

Old 08-26-01, 08:08 PM
Visiting Guest
Thanks!

Thanks a lot! I'm sure I'll be contacting you again once we start. This site is great! MJ