Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Trouble hanging shelf on plaster walls

MO

10-10-01, 01:52 AM   #1  
I am having trouble hanging some medium weight wooden shelves on my plaster & lath walls.

I am not sure whether or not to use toggle bolts or screws with the plastic inserts or what.

The plaster is old and crumbles away around the drilled hole, and I am not having any luck finding walls studs that are exactly 16" apart.

Can anyone tell me the type of fastener and the size to use?

Sponsored Links

NC

10-10-01, 02:45 AM   #2  
Try to screw shelving supports into studs, if you can.
In lieu of that, use a masonry bit in a variable speed drill for drilling the holes. Use a sharp pointed tool (ice pick or awl) to make a small starter mark to keep the drill from skipping.
I would use molly bolts to hang the shelves. Molly bolts come in various sizes and have spring-loaded "wings" that fit through the hole and open to catch the backside of the wall.
They can hold a pretty good load.
Good Luck!
Mike

MO

10-10-01, 02:48 AM   #3  
By "molly bolt" I guess you mean a toggle bolt? I guess the toggle one I used was not long enough--the "wing" would not go through far enough to expand.

Thanks for the help though--All I get when I go to Home Depot is some 14 yr old kid to wait on me.

NC

10-10-01, 03:36 AM   #4  
Yep. Same-Same.
Just get them with a longer screw to clear the thicker plaster and lathe.
Good Luck!
Mike

Search this Thread