Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

sheetrocking arched doorway

's Avatar
Visiting Guest

10-21-01, 04:35 AM   #1  
I am currently in the process of replacing the old plaster walls in my living room with sheetrock. However, I have an arched walkway on one of my walls that serves as an entrance into my dining room. When i removed the plaster from this wall there was metal underneath that was used to serve as support for the arch in the doorway. This metal is all bent and unusable and i cant seem to find replacement anywhere (my house is old and i dont think they make it anymore). Is there something else i can use to maintain the arched shape of my doorway for do i have to square it off? Any advice would be appreciated.

Sponsored Links

NC

10-21-01, 05:08 AM   #2  
You can frame an arch with two pieces of plywood on both sides of the wall framing with a matching arch cut into both pieces.
Fill the gap around the arch with small blocks of 2X4.
Cut a strip of sheetrock the length and width of the arch.
Cut the back of the sheetrock across its width every few inches to make it flexible enough to be screwed to the blocks. Cut most of the way through the back of the sheetrock, being careful not to tear or cut the face paper.
Tape and mud it in.
Good Luck!
Mike

Search this Thread