Closing off a doorway with a wall!

Old 10-24-01, 07:59 AM
Visiting Guest
I would like to close an existing doorway between my Living Room and Dining Room. The doorway is all drywall with no molding. The width of the doorway is 4' and the height is 6'. My question relates to the actual width of the existing wall where the doorway is located. On the sides of the doorway, the width of the wall is 5.375" and on the top, the width measures at 5.875". What would be the best way to stud this wall out inside the doorway in order for me to have a flush clean wall on both sides? What size lumber would work best? Would it be better to maintain one side of the wall perfectly flush being inset 1/2" and then shim the other side?
Thanks for your help.
Mark Mastrangelo

Sponsored Links
Old 11-02-01, 12:44 AM
mopat
Visiting Guest
not sure i completely understand, but here goes. frame openning with 2x6's rip them to the width you need-4.5"
difference in width 1/2" may be just corner bead and mud.
tear off corner bead and wallboard in existing openning, down to framing 'studs'. frame with same size lumber.

Old 11-09-01, 04:20 PM
It's all in the mud

You could also use 2*4s set in 1/2 inch on one side and add 1*2 onto the 2*4 to the other. Add 1/2 sheet rock to one side and 5/8 to the side with the 1*2 for a thickness of 5 3/8. which will be close. The top may be wider for a few reasons however a common reason is more mud. Measure just above by drilling a hole through the top about 5 inches above the opening hieght and insert a piece of wire. Mark the wire and measure which will tell you the wall thickness. If it less than than 5.8 and closer to 5.3, remove the sheetrock A few inches below the ceiling (This method will avoid you having to blend into the ceiling)and replace the sheetrock and apply the appropriate amount of mud. If the measurement is the 5.8 then leave the top and use joint compound over a distance to feather down into the side dimension. 1/4" on each side spread over a distance is tougher for the eyes to pick up.........PS Pick through the posts and read up on applying joint compound if your a novice as this some of this is advanced. You'll be able to plan and follow your progress better if you apply more thinner coats. The nice thing about mud is some extra sand paper can make most jobs look good.......
Check you measurements and then head to a Home center lumber yard and you'll be able to calculate the best fit from the available dimensional lumber and various sheetrock thickness .........Post back with any questions.......

[Edited by StephenS on 11-09-01 at 07:37]