re-texture or start from scratch?

Old 11-06-01, 10:39 AM
Visiting Guest
Question

Hello, and thanks in advance for any advice you can offer. I recently bought a house which was severely abused by a previous owner. One particular room has walls that have been "textured" apparently by someone throwing mud up on the walls and running their hands and fingers through it to achieve a... well I don't know what... kind of texture. needless to say, the walls look absolutely atrocious, and I'm wondering if I should bother trying to texture over these walls or if I am better off tearing them down and starting from scratch by hanging new drywall. The existing texture has very high "relief" (large hills and valleys). Do I have to hang new drywall to get good results, or can I somehow level the existing surface (i.e. by sanding, scraping, or filling in with mud) to get a good new surface on which to apply new texture? Which alternative is most effective for less work, less cost and better long-term results? Thanks again!

Sponsored Links
Old 11-06-01, 11:46 AM
Cool

You probably could never get it to look right by trying to smooth or re-texture over that mess.
I personally would tear it out and start over with new drywall.
Good Luck!
Mike

Old 11-06-01, 11:59 AM
Visiting Guest
That's what I figured! Thanks for the quick reply. Incidentally, the room in question is a bathroom, about 6X15 ft, with a shower/tub. If I am replacing all the existing drywall, should I do the entire bathroom in a water-resistant material like greenboard, or is regular drywall OK for a well-ventilated bathroom? Thanks again!

Old 11-06-01, 12:58 PM
Cool

Regular drywall is o.k., except for greenboard behind the bathtub/shower.
Just prime it well, and use a good quality gloss or semi-gloss paint.
Good Luck!
Mike

Old 11-07-01, 04:00 AM
Visiting Guest
Thanks a lot, Mike!