Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Interior Improvement Center > Walls and Ceilings
Reload this Page >

Garage ceiling - alternative to drywall?

Old 11-13-01, 09:48 PM
Nagoy
Visiting Guest

Hi,

I want to make my 2-car garage more comfortable (warmer, brighter). The ceiling is unfinished, so I'd like to add insulation batts and cover them, but - is there an alternative to drywall? Theres a few reasons, mostly related to the ordeal of hauling so much sheetrock around, cutting it to odd shapes, and somehow levitating it to the ceiling...! I'm sure I'm not alone in being a little on the tardy side when completing projects, and getting help whenever I have the time to do a bit more seems unlikely..! Something more manageable for an army of one?

The ceiling will not need to support any fixtures, since fluorescent lighting hangs off the horizontal beams.

I had thought perhaps just those polystyrene insulation batts, but they're relatively quite expensive (otherwise perfect!).

Any suggestions? Or do I need to join a gym...?

Thanks,
Mark

Sponsored Links
Old 11-14-01, 01:31 PM
Save the membership and work out with a few 10lbs dumbells for the mudding. Rent a dywall lift on a weekend and hang enough sheets so yo can tape and mud when you have more time. Go for 12' sheets delivered which is worth a slight charge and you'll be able to catch the second half. Skim the mud light three coats and remember it's a garage ceiling........

Old 11-14-01, 02:25 PM
Insulman
Visiting Guest
If the garage isnt heated ..there is no reason to put insulation in..
If you do put insulation in and heat it, you will need to provide venting from the soffits to roof cap... and as for finishing the ceiling stephen sounds on target to me ..

good luck

jim

Old 11-14-01, 05:33 PM
Nagoy
Visiting Guest
Thanks for the replies...

It is unheated, and will remain that way (other than perhaps a portable heater if working there in winter).

What is rigid (expanded polystyrene or foam?) insulation generally best used for, out of interest?

Old 11-14-01, 11:52 PM
Insulman
Visiting Guest
Foam board has many uses, but generally it is used under concrete slabs and on exterior walls as sheathing..

Good luck

Jim