Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Filling in recessed area

's Avatar
Visiting Guest

Posts: n/a

12-15-01, 06:17 PM   #1  
Filling in recessed area

I need some help with a project I am about to undertake. I am going to remove a recessed medicine cabinet from one of my bathrooms and replace it. However, I want to replace it with a smaller one medicine cabinet and thus will need to fill in part of the recessed area and make it even with the rest of the wall. What would be the easiet way to do this? I imagine drywall would be the way to go but I've never worked with drywall and I'm not sure if this is something that I can do. Any help would be great. Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Mike Swearingen's Avatar

Join Date: Dec 1999
Posts: 10,952

12-16-01, 06:20 AM   #2  
The studs holding the medicine cabinet should be 16" on center, so you need to cut the drywall back to the center of the studs on either side with a utility knife.
Measure the heighth of the new medicine cabinet, and cut a new piece of 1/2" drywall to 16" wide X the difference in the height of the old and new cabinets to fill in the wall gap.
Using drywall screws, screw a piece of 14"-14.5" 1X4 half onto the new piece of drywall (centered so that it faits between studs.
Slip the other half of the 1X4 behind the existing sheetrock, and screw the existing sheetrock to the 1X4. This should give you a solid backing.
Now lay a bed of sheetrock mud where the new drywall piece meets the old with a 4" putty knife. Use the knife and press drywall tape into the mud across where the 1X4 is and down the sides. Put another layer of sheetrock mud over this, and get it as smooth as you can, feathering out the edges.
One trick is to do it with a sponge while it's still damp, or sand it after it drys overnight.
Add one last wider layer of mud over the seams, featerhing out the edges even more to blend it into the wall. Spoinge it or sand it smooth.
After it blends smoothly with the wall, you should be able to prime and paint it.
Good Luck!

's Avatar
Visiting Guest

Posts: n/a

12-18-01, 03:47 AM   #3  
Thanks for all the info. It will make the project much easier. I do have 1 more question. The 1X4 that I need, should that be pressure treated wood or regualr white wood? The wall will be located above the sink without direct water hitting it but being in the bathroom with the high amounts of humidity I'm not sure which type of wood to use. Thanks for the help.

StephenS's Avatar

Join Date: Feb 2001
Posts: 589

12-18-01, 04:20 AM   #4  
The wood does not have to be pressure treated. Consider that all the framing in your house is not pressure treated.

Search this Thread