Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

drywall planning

Visiting Guest

12-19-01, 07:41 AM   #1  
Doctorhifi
drywall planning

Heres a tough one: My room is 12' 1-1/2 inches deep and 13-6" wide. The ceiling joists are spaced strangely; some are 12" on center, others 16". This will make for an interesting fit. Also, since this is a basement room, there is a knee wall in front of the block foundation. The knee wall is about 40" high and the area above the knee wall is 58". Question #1: What is the best way to put up the 5/8 on the ceiling? I was going to run the sheets the 12' long way and attach a thin strip (1 1/2") where it would hit the wall. Question #2: What should I do about the knee walls? I was going to use 8' pieces on the knee wall itself, and then use 10' pieces (cut in half) and stand them up on the wall vertically. Can you provide some tips?

Sponsored Links

MD

12-21-01, 03:01 AM   #2  
Not real sure I would use 12 footers on the ceiling. The first question would be, do you have some kind of nailing surface on both sides. You wouldn't want to put all of the 1 1/2 pieces on the same side. You want to stagger the joints. Might be easier to go with 10 footers.

The idea for your walls sounds about the only solution given the dimensions that you have to work with

Visiting Guest

12-25-01, 03:09 PM   #3  
Gary7
12 footers, ten footers, eight footers. Those are the real choices right? We know a 12' length is probably not the answer...besides, sounds like you would need a nailer on both sides just to stagger that joint. 10 footers will work, but an 8 foot will prodcuce the same number of butt joints and be less effort to hang.

Search this Thread