texturing drywalled ceiling

Old 12-23-01, 01:27 PM
vca
Visiting Guest
Question texturing drywalled ceiling

To Garywms or anyone else with expertise: Let me see if I understand. I am in the process of scraping off popcorn ceiling. (What a task)! Based on what I have read, I plan to use all-purpose joint compound to apply a new texture. What I really was hoping for was to get a sort of "plastered" look. I was thinking I would have to use a trowel. But at this point I will be happy with any sort of nice effect. The rough paint roller method sure sounds alot less labor intensive! So I guess my question is, does this plan sound ok? Scrape off popcorn, then roll on joint compound. Do I need to prep the surface in any way before I apply the compound? Please give me any information you think might be useful; I am a total novice at home improvement! Thanks!

Sponsored Links
Old 12-24-01, 02:38 AM
Might want to give the area a light sanding with a drywall sanding screen. If you get the roller, get one made for texturing ceilings. Instead of a normal roller covering, it has like rubber bands on it. One word of caution. Cover everything. This method is fast, but it is messy.

Old 12-24-01, 03:16 PM
vca
Visiting Guest
texturing drywalled ceiling

Garywms, thanks for your response! I scraped some more ceiling today. I am in a bit of a dilemma as to how smooth to scrape it. In some areas I ended up scraping to a very smooth surface but other areas, as I was tiring, still have a rough surface--a sort of "knock down popcorn ceiling" if you will. So your suggestion of sanding sounds fair. So my question now is, how smooth does the surface need to be before I apply new texture? And how uniformly smooth? This is causing me alot of anxiety. I have decided I do want to hand-trowel or do the plastic bag method. I have also read that I should apply a primer coat of flat latex paint before I begin texturing (recommended for beginners). What do you think of this idea?

Old 12-26-01, 12:35 AM
I wouldn't worry abput the smmothness. Primer might not be a bad idea to give it a good surface. When you start just use a fairly large trowel, 8 or 10 inches and just put a uniform coat on the celing in about a 3 foot by 3 foot area. After you do that, the use the crumpled up plastic to just dab at the mud to put in the texture.

Old 12-26-01, 02:45 AM
we call it stomping here.there is a two headed brush made just for that .never tried the plastic thing but it sounds like it makes sense

Old 12-26-01, 03:45 AM
vca
Visiting Guest
texturing ceiling

Thanks to all who responded! It all helps alot. Sorry if I keep asking the same questions over and over, I just really want to make sure I get it right. I also wasn't sure where to post my last question (for the quickest response!) so I posted in two places.

Search this Thread