Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

scraped off popcorn, now what?

Visiting Guest

12-25-01, 05:24 AM   #1  
vca
scraped off popcorn, now what?

I am half-way through scraping off the pocorn ceiling in my living room. In some areas I scraped it very smooth. In other areas, as I was tiring, it is rougher--a sort of "knock down popcorn ceiling." My question now becomes, how smooth do I need to scrape (or sand) before I apply new texturing? I am going for a hand-troweled look in the end, so there will naturally be hi and lo ridges. Will the mud cover up the old "rough" surface if necessary? Will the roughness of the original surface affect the soundness of the bonding of the new mud?
Also, if I understand it correctly, I have read that I should prime the old surface with a flat latex paint, before I begin applying new mud. (Recommended for beginners) Does anyone have any thoughts on this?

Sponsored Links
Visiting Guest

12-25-01, 02:58 PM   #2  
Gary7
I think Garywms nailed it first time through. (Use a sanding screen), and get it as smooth as you would like to see the finished product be. Scraping and sanding popcorn texture is the last thing I would ever want to do...keep applying the elbow grease and have fun getting the job finished.

As for priming before re-texture? It must have been a primer salesman that came up with that idea. Primer makes most sense on top of the finshed mud...one layer below paint.

Visiting Guest

12-26-01, 03:50 AM   #3  
vca
Primer

Thanks for responding, Gary. I read about the primer idea in a book called "Professional Drywalling Techniques" by Ferguson. The one way I could see it beneficial is because the surface after scraping is so chalky. Maybe the primer seals all that chalk? Or am I way off?

Visiting Guest

12-26-01, 04:03 AM   #4  
Gary7
I suggest you wipe it down with a sponge if you are concerned. Regarding how well the mud will bond, I have had drywall mud fly off the side of my drywall knife and hit a wall. It makes a run pattern. If I don't scrape it off right away, the stuff sticks and dries like a rock, and I wasn't even trying to apply it.

's Avatar
Visiting Guest

12-30-01, 01:42 PM   #5  
Pardon me for butting in but if you have powdering or chalking you absolutely should remedy that. Wet the remaining texture with warm water and you might find it easy to scrape off. Definately make sure there is no chalking or powdering or your new texture (or paint, or paper, or primer for that matter) will peel. Maybe right away or maybe in a couple of years, but it will. Warm water, a little TSP and get the rest of that stuff off. If you follow this you shouldn't have to prime.

Sorry I did'nt see this thread sooner. The water would have made the whole job go a lot easier.

Ted

Visiting Guest

12-31-01, 04:26 AM   #6  
vca
TSP?

What is TSP?

MD

12-31-01, 05:05 AM   #7  
Tri Sodium Phosphate. Go to your local home center and look in the paint department or to a paint store. It should be marked with just those 3 letters. Be sure to follow the directions

Search this Thread