Wall Repair

Old 12-26-01, 03:24 AM
Visiting Guest
Question Wall Repair

My husband and I are beginners when it comes to home repair. We decided to renovate the halls of our home by removing existing wall paper so that we can either paint or redo the wallpaper.

The wall paper we are removing is very thick, almost bamboo type of wallpaper. We followed directions for using chemical solutions and for using a steamer. When the wall paper comes down it aooears to be ripping the underlying wall (I believe it is drywall). It looks like ripped cardboard.

I have two questions. First, is there any good way to make sure we take it down without this happening? Second, we figure we must repair it, it seems to be the entire wall. Do we use plaster, joint compound or something else. We figure we need to smooth it on, then proceed with sanding and priming. Is this the correct approach?

We appreciate any tips you can provide.

Thanks and Happy New Year.

Sponsored Links
Old 12-26-01, 03:34 AM
happy holidays to you both also.I dont know any way to remove stuff without tearing the paper up but if you take about a ten or tweve inch sheetrock knife ,thin your mud out and put a skim coat on it,it works every time

Old 12-26-01, 03:39 AM
Wall paper scorer

Purchase a wall paper scorer at a hardware store. It will serate the wallpaper so the remover works it's way in and the paper will be easier to remove with less wall damage. Soak the wallpaper, let it sit and then soak it again 15 minutes later.

Search this Thread