Old 12-28-01, 01:20 PM
Visiting Guest
Posts: n/a

Am putting up a wall between the kitchen and den to turn the den into a bedroom. Am using 5/8" fireguard sheetrock becaus eI heard that it was better for soundproofing than regular sheetrock. I have the wall up with one side sheetrocked so far. Don't think that it is going to give me the sound deadening that I expected. What can I put in the wall to provide good sound proofing? Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Old 12-28-01, 03:24 PM
HandyRon's Avatar
Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: New York
Posts: 1,365
Old 12-28-01, 05:27 PM
Visiting Guest
Posts: n/a
The standard method would be to just install 3 1/2" unfaced fiberglass insulation in the stud cavity's. This will help some and in my opinion is worth the minimal expense.. approx 25 cents a square foot for the material.. anything further gets a bit more complicated and increases the cost..

a double wall will give you the best sound deadening if your willing to lose the floor space.. build two seperate walls and leave 1" space between..

good luck


Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Display Modes