drywall repair around recessed lights

Old 01-05-02, 08:11 AM
Visiting Guest
Question drywall repair around recessed lights

My electrician husband and I are remodeling a house. He put recessed lighting in the living room. Because of some irregularities in the stud placement, (or joists, or whatever they are) the holes around the light cans are a little too big. How do you properly patch the drywall? There really isn't enough room for mesh, but we are having trouble getting the spackling to stay in place. I would appreciate any advice.

Thanks,

Justin

Old 01-05-02, 01:27 PM
S
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
the compound needs something to hold it.

A couple of ways to do it depending upon the repair size. I used a keyhole saw to cut a section from the waisted piece on the coutout. Carefully predrill it and use screws to secure it to a 1*2. Coat the inside edge of the hole with joint compound and place the 1*2 above the sheetrock so the patch comes down into the hole. Secure the 1* with sheetrock screws going up through the existing ceiling. Use joint compound around the area to blend it..or do the same with 3/8 sheetrock so after compound the area around the hole is not an uneven which could leave a gap around the trim ring......You could also pick up a metal patch and cut the metal to fit around the area. Scrape the ceiling texture if needed.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: