Help with drywall problem! Please!

Old 01-06-02, 02:16 PM
Visiting Guest
Unhappy Help with drywall problem! Please!

Hey there!

My husband and I have decided to remodel our kitchen on a small level. i.e new paint, wallpaper, and flooring.

I am currently in the process of removing the tacky peach colored wallpaper from the walls. I have come to find that the paper was placed directly on the drywall with no coat of primer at all! Is this strange or is it just me?

Anyway, when I am peeling back the paper I am occasionally getting the top layer of drywall with the paper strips. I know this is not good in the slightest. Could someone please help me, and tell me how to go about removing the rest of the paper without destroying the drywall.

Thank you very much in advance.

Old 01-06-02, 03:01 PM
S
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
It's not as bas as you thinkkk

Do as you can to remove the wallpaper......The drywall can be easily repaired with a skim coat of joint compound.

Old 01-06-02, 03:24 PM
Visiting Guest
Thanks Stephen.

That is what they(prof. painters) did in our master bedroom 2 years ago, where there was the same problem. Although I remember a lot of sanding taking place as well.

Is it okay to sand the rough spots out? I don't want to make the walls uneven or "dented" in places , and I don't want a lot of dust floating around as I have a 16 month old who doesn't need to inhale that gunk! :lol

Any more tips?

Thank you so much.

Old 01-06-02, 03:39 PM
S
never sand the paper. It will only make it worse. Compound can be applied and leave very little sanding however it takes practice. Work with very thin coats as it will give you time to work up a technique without leaving you with alot of sanding. The goal is to feather the patch into the existing board which can be accomplished by angling the knife on the wall. You might also consider these tips.

: Purchase a dustless sanding system at HDepot....It acutally works and cuts down on the dust. It connects to a wet vac.
: Use a sponge instead of a sanding block
: Purchase painters plastic drop cloths to seal the area to be sanded. Hang them in door ways to prevent the dust from flying around the house.
: Lastly,, farm this work out to a proffesional mudder.....Thier should be very little sanding done......In all fairness I have seen painters achieve great results however some rely on technique and some rely on sandpaper.......

Old 01-07-02, 07:59 AM
Visiting Guest
Re: sanding; you could try a sanding sponge instead of sandpaper, much less dust.
Re: removing wallpaper; have you tried special wallpaper removal solutions, which are sold in most hardware/HI stores?

Old 01-09-02, 04:12 PM
Visiting Guest
Thank you for all of your replies. Currently I have gotten all of the paper off of the walls , and have begun repairing the drywall. It is quite damaged. I was so careful pulling th paper down and it pulled quite a bit of drywall with it.

I will be sanding tomorrow and will be using a sanding sponge to do the job. Right now I know there are places where the compund is a bit thick, in others I've done my best to keep it thin. How long does sanding normally take? I have about ...oh I'd say 20 square feet to sand. Will this take at least a day to do right?

Thanks,
Liz

Old 01-09-02, 05:32 PM
S
With 20 square feet, I would suggest sealing the area with plastic sheets. (I've used a staple gun to secure ceiling which does little or no damage and spackle will take care of any marks. Putting a fan facing out in the window and picking up some 80 grit paper and moving to 100)........If the compound is thick then the sanding sponge may not cut it or leave you with a more of a sore arm than you need. Make sure you protect your skin and wear a dust mask and plan on going at in one shot as your going to be covered from the first minutes you begin.....Pole sanders work good for light sanding however if you find yourself using a hand sander up high, get a small ladder so you don't have the dust coming down on top of you..........This is less than a day project....

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: