Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Interior Improvement Center > Walls and Ceilings
Reload this Page >

Cost/time to hang dry wall in 2 120 sq ft rooms?

Cost/time to hang dry wall in 2 120 sq ft rooms?

Old 01-11-02, 09:16 AM
Question Cost/time to hang dry wall in 2 120 sq ft rooms?

Can anyone tell me a rough ballpark for how much it should cost to hang drywall over a popcorn ceiling (encapsulation) in two 120 sq ft rooms? There are no funky angles, or moldings to deal with.

Also, how long should a job like this take (4 hrs? 2 days?).

If it matters, I live in Seattle.

Thanks,

-john

Sponsored Links
Old 01-11-02, 11:56 PM
Talking

are you gonna pay me by the hour or the board?

Old 01-14-02, 05:17 PM
Tn...Andy
Visiting Guest
ahaha...good one MoJo !!

It will take about 2 hours and best of luck getting anybody to come do such a small job

Old 01-15-02, 12:54 PM
John,

From your previous post regarding this it would appear you are certainly handy around the house. Go ahead and at least put up the drywall yourself. I did 3 rooms in my old house myself and it was not that big of a problem. Same situation, but I did not have to worry about asbestos, my ceilings were just all cracked & loose. From your room sizes it sounds like you will not have to worry about butt joints, thus you would only have to mud & tape corners and tapered joints. It is not difficult work, but you will have a sore back, neck & arms since all the work is over your head. After you put up the joint compound, use a pad sander with a pole, it will save you a little soreness. Seal off the rooms, the dust will get bad. Sanding the ceiling is worse than just doing walls. Sounds like you already have a mask, use it.

Rent a drywall lift. Even for a small job like this its worth the $30 - $40, it makes placing & screwing the drywall up a lot easier. Buy a stud sensor, spend a few extra $$ to get the better / stronger models because they will detect better on plaster. You probably have wood lathe under the plaster, again a better sensor comes in handy here.
Get longer drywall screws probably 2", in order to get to the ceiling joists, (i.e. all the way through both the plaster and the lathe). You probably could rely upon screwing just into the lathe, but from my experience at least 25% of your screws will not hold very good. As such try to find the ceiling joists & screw into them. Also, keep in mind you will be screwing right where a nail might be which is holding the lathe. If the screw does not go in, just move it a 1/2" along the joist line.

For ceiling light fixtures, take them completely down. ***Be sure to turn off the electricity to those lights before hand.*** Assuming there is a box, buy a box extender / plate to extend the box a little farther down, now that you added that extra layer of drywall.

Good luck.