Interior wall


Old 01-16-02, 01:15 PM
Visiting Guest
Posts: n/a
Interior wall

We have a wood A-Frame house which has settled quite a lot. One of the problems is that several of the windows in the front satrted to leak.

After removing the the sheetrock I decided that I really like the look of the wood and would like to panel the entire wall instead of replacing the sheet rock.

Do I need a vapor barrier?
Should I caulk the spaces between the wood header or leave it for ventilation? We recently had a mold problem also.
What type of wood is recomended?
How can I tell if the black aon teh wood is dry rot?

Sponsored Links
Old 01-16-02, 02:36 PM
Join Date: Dec 1999
Location: Northeastern NC On The Albemarle Sound
Posts: 10,952

We too have a wood A-frame.
You need to find out why it is settling and correct that problem.
The primary vertical support should be in the middle of the A straight down. It may be rotted at the bottom.
The rotted part can be cut out, and pressure-treated wood placed in its place.
You need to insulate the wall with insulation batts.
Use expanding foam around the windows and doors, and around that header ( can push them out of square).
Use a vapor barrier on the heated side (inside) of the insulation.
You can use any type of wood that looks good to you.
(We used authentic c1906 weathered heart pine barn boards with semi-transparent grey stain to blend the colors.)
Black on the wood may just be water discoloration.
To tell if it's dry rot, poke it with a screwdriver. If it's solid or just barely rotted on the surface, it's o.k., and not structural. If the screwdriver goes into the wood more than 1/8"-1/4", you may have a problem.
Good Luck!
Old 01-16-02, 04:09 PM
Visiting Guest
Posts: n/a

Thanks for your time and info, much appreciated!

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Display Modes