Drywall around basment window

Old 01-23-02, 12:17 PM
rmelton
Visiting Guest
Question Drywall around basment window

I just finished framing my basement (2x4 walls) and will soon be putting up drywall. I have two windows in the the basement, one is a 4x4 window and the other is your basic small basement window. My question is how to apply the drywall around the window.
The smaller window frame is not flush with the inside edge of the concrete wall. It sets in about 1", so the window sill is concrete.
Do I place the drywall over the concrete and butt it up against the window frame. Then caulk/silicone where it is butted against the window frame? If so should I use some type of glue/poxy to attach to the inch or so of concrete or just secure the drywall to the 2x4 frame I made?

The larger window frame is a little different - a little hader to explain. The window frame is flush with the inside concrete wall but the window frame itself is about 2" thick. The window sets in the window frme about 2". Should I mount the drywall over the top of the window frame or butt it up to the edge and caulk/silicone. Not sure that explanations gives a good picture of the window.

Any help/ideas would be great. Thanks.

Old 01-23-02, 04:36 PM
Tn...Andy
Visiting Guest
On the small window, just nail to the 2x4 framing you have, then caulk the seam where the sheetrock meets the window frame. I'd use a latex caulk so it will paint easy.

On the big one, you could do it either way....if you don't like the wood around the window showing, sheetrock over it and caulk as above, other wise sheetrock up to the frame and caulk.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: