Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

shetrock mud

's Avatar
Visiting Guest

01-26-02, 06:29 AM   #1  
shetrock mud

will sheetrock mud adhere to bare wood surfaces?

Sponsored Links

NC

01-27-02, 12:42 AM   #2  
Wood shrinks and swells too much.
The mud will crack.

's Avatar
Visiting Guest

02-06-02, 10:04 PM   #3  
I do not only home repair and remodeling, but for close friends and family I make large rocking animals or funiture for thier firstborn. Being on a very tight budget, I have had to use some pretty old nasty wood at times. After a couple of passes with the belt sander I mud it good, finish sand it and make sure to use a decent primer and enamel. Many of these items are over 30 years old and are holding up very well.

20 years ago I had a small kitchen fire that charred one end of the cabinets over the counter. I wire brushed the burned wood real good to get all of the loose stuff out and then shop vaced it good followed by wipeing with a damp rag and immediately began building up layers of mud. once it was up to level I sanded it smooth and painted it with a good enamel. This section sits just above the sink to the side of a window so it is subject to moisture and drying repeatedly and there is no problem.

The key to success in both of these cases is a good sealer coat of a decent enamel to keep moisture from penetrating.

GOOD LUCK!

Search this Thread