Built in shelving useing shetrock

Old 01-27-02, 08:34 AM
Visiting Guest
Question Built in shelving useing shetrock

We have a fireplace installed in the basement family room and want to put shelving on either side of the fireplace to be used for a TV and stereo equipment. We want to shetrock all the openings, then tape and textone.
Question: Can I use regular 5/8th shetrock for the shelves themselves? Will the TV over time put dimples in the shetrock? Should I use a different material for the shelves?

Sponsored Links
Old 01-27-02, 11:00 PM
Visiting Guest
are you asking if 5/8 drywall will support the wieght on the shelves?

absolutly not!
you need to build a structure that would support the weight (5/8 plywood is a good choice) which you could then cover with drywall if that is the look you want......

Old 01-29-02, 09:43 AM
Davef15
Visiting Guest
I would skin the sides with drywall. I would absolutely not use drywall for the shelves - It won't support the weight. Yes, the TV and stereo equipment would leave dimples in the drywall over time - and every time you move one of the components, you will damage the surface.

If it is the drywall look you want, I would use 1 by material for the actual shelves - I think 5/8 ply is not strong enough - depending on the span. Cover the wood with drywall, finish and then paint. Add 1/8 in plexiglass on top of the shelf to protect the drywall and install your equipment on this.

If you go to a woodworking store or home depot, they will have books for just abot any home repair or project you can think of. You should be able to fine one specific to construction of shelving - and it should have information regarding span and load bearing capability for various materials.