Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Butt joints

Visiting Guest

02-07-02, 11:53 AM   #1  
Doctorhifi
Butt joints

Why don't drywall manufacturers figure out a way to taper all edges of the gypsum board? Wouldnt this reduce the number of butt joints that are always such a pain to mud/tape? There must be some compelling reason they don't alreay do this; I can't believe the technology doesnt exist for them to do this. Just curious.

DRHifi

Sponsored Links

MD

02-08-02, 04:54 AM   #2  
Get a copy of this month's Fine Homebuilding. I saw an advertisement for a new system that basically gives a bend in the drywall that simulates the tapered joint. Don't see how the manufacturers could do this. The drywall is made by sanwiching wet gypsum compound between the two pieces of paper on a continuous line. The tapered sides can be created with rollers on each side as the board is made. This is one reason I still like to install drywall in a vertical position, no but joints to deal with.

02-08-02, 08:30 PM   #3  
Sounds like a great product. Just a thought on the process. The manufacturer could use a stamp while the gypsum is still soft.

Search this Thread