Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

patching drywall

Visiting Guest

02-11-02, 04:44 AM   #1  
arthropod98
patching drywall

we've got a sunroom that was drywalled VERY poorly. the tape on all the joints is peeling up, and it looks horrible! now, to repair this, should i simply remove the old tape, and redo?? i'm assuming i should put on some compound, apply the MESH tape, put on some more compound, then go back and sand?? do i have all the steps right here?? THANKS!!!

Sponsored Links

KS

02-11-02, 05:46 AM   #2  
You are on the right track. Definitely remove all loose tape. If you use mesh tape you don't have to apply mud first. It sounds like, since it's such a bad job, that you will have to feather the bad joints out pretty far to cover the uglyness. Take your time and you will be fine. It may take a few coats too.

Visiting Guest

02-11-02, 05:52 AM   #3  
arthropod98
thanks for the tips!!

one other question . . . this room gets pretty hot in the warmer months. now, would that cause the paint to "slide" in a small U pattern on the wall?? i don't see any stains, and the drywall feels fine, so i really don't think it's water damage.

KS

02-11-02, 06:06 AM   #4  
I've never experianced that. I'm not a painter so I dont know. But if it gets hot and humid in that room make sure your drywall is sealed really well or the moisture will damge your drywall.

Search this Thread