patching drywall

Old 02-11-02, 04:44 AM
arthropod98
Visiting Guest
patching drywall

we've got a sunroom that was drywalled VERY poorly. the tape on all the joints is peeling up, and it looks horrible! now, to repair this, should i simply remove the old tape, and redo?? i'm assuming i should put on some compound, apply the MESH tape, put on some more compound, then go back and sand?? do i have all the steps right here?? THANKS!!!

Sponsored Links
Old 02-11-02, 05:46 AM
You are on the right track. Definitely remove all loose tape. If you use mesh tape you don't have to apply mud first. It sounds like, since it's such a bad job, that you will have to feather the bad joints out pretty far to cover the uglyness. Take your time and you will be fine. It may take a few coats too.

Old 02-11-02, 05:52 AM
arthropod98
Visiting Guest
thanks for the tips!!

one other question . . . this room gets pretty hot in the warmer months. now, would that cause the paint to "slide" in a small U pattern on the wall?? i don't see any stains, and the drywall feels fine, so i really don't think it's water damage.

Old 02-11-02, 06:06 AM
I've never experianced that. I'm not a painter so I dont know. But if it gets hot and humid in that room make sure your drywall is sealed really well or the moisture will damge your drywall.