Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Can I change "bumpy" walls to smooth wall finish?

Visiting Guest

02-11-02, 09:46 AM   #1  
jcerri
Can I change "bumpy" walls to smooth wall finish?

Hi,

My girlfriend and I are looking at condos in Northern CA and all that are in our price range have a "bumpy" or "splattered" finish with quarter-size splotches of drywall mud all over the walls and ceiling. We both love the "smooth-wall" look and I was wondering how to change the walls to this finish.

Thanks,
Joe

Sponsored Links

KS

02-11-02, 02:13 PM   #2  
Sounds like you have "knock down" texture on the walls and ceilings. You will have to skim over that to get it smooth.

Visiting Guest

02-13-02, 09:41 AM   #3  
jcerri
Thanks

Thanks for the info. Would you use a standard out-of-the box joint compound, or mix water into it? Also, would any sanding or washing to rough-up or clean the surface be necessary?

Thanks,
Joe

KS

02-13-02, 02:32 PM   #4  
I would use pre mixed joint compound. You can add water to it or use it right out of the box. Your choice. I wouldnt add more than a cup of water per 5 gallons. I think you could go over what you have with little prep. You may want to scrap the walls to get any goobers sticking out off first.

Search this Thread