Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Interior Improvement Center > Walls and Ceilings
Reload this Page > sanding drywall patches(a clean way??)

sanding drywall patches(a clean way??)

Old 02-19-02, 10:21 PM
bluemacaw
Visiting Guest
sanding drywall patches(a clean way??)

Just wondering if anyone has any tips on keeping the messy sanding the ceiling patch job...CLEAN........The only way I used to try before was holding a vaccum up next to where I am sanding.
Other other TIPS out there ????????
I want to minimaze the dust getting everywhere. Even covering the stuff up isn't always guaranteed to protect everything.
thanks

Sponsored Links
Old 02-20-02, 06:07 PM
mcgub
Visiting Guest
Sanding drywall and clean are mutually exclusive terms...it's gonna make mess...no way around it...

Old 02-20-02, 06:55 PM
Not so true anymore... Head to Home Depots drywall section and you'll find a kit for clean sanding drywall. The screen covered pad has a hose that attaches to a water bucket (supplied) that goes to the vacume....The only drawback is screen leaves a few marks behind however if you use the kit to smooth it out, you can then hit it quick with regular sand paper for a fine touch.
'

Old 02-21-02, 04:45 AM
You might also check in the rental center for the Porter Cable drywall sanding unit. It's basically a disk sander on a pole that is attached to a shop vac.

Old 02-22-02, 12:41 PM
Blue, I have bought & used the sander that StephenS mentioned. It works great. I bet it gets 99.9% of all the dust. On one of my most recent projects, I blocked (drywalled) a doorway. Probably around 20' linear of mud & taping on each side, both rooms were small & enclosed. After finishing each sanding, there was not even a light film on the countertops or dresser. I am very happy I spent the $30 or so, for it. Be sure to get the right size adapter to fit your shop hose. Just take an accessory nozzle from your shop vac with you when you buy.

StephenS is also correct regarding the marks from the sanding screen. I was able to solve that by buying a much finer grit screen for the pad. The normal screen most people use might be around a 100 grit, you can go to a 250 or even 400 grit for your final sanding pass. That, along with a little lighter touch will work fine on the last sanding.

Good Luck & happy sanding.

Old 02-24-02, 07:31 AM
jlob66
Visiting Guest
I've had great luck with sanding sponges. Just make sure you rinse often.

Old 02-25-02, 05:49 AM
O.K. we are talking about a ceiling patch here right? No need to go crazy and spend a bunch of bucks for a ceiling patch. Scrape down the goobers with a knife, put a top coat on, use a sponge to feather the edge. It's best to soften the edge with a sponge anyway on patchwork, even if you do sand it.

Old 02-25-02, 12:55 PM
ROBL
Visiting Guest
Dustless Sander from Home Depot

I was wondering if anyone had a brand name for the dustless sander system from the Home Depot. I checked at two Home Depot's in the Atlanta area and they gave me a blank stare. I have to sand in an area where dust will create a serious problem with a asthmatic small child and anything that will reduce dust will give him much comfort. All replies appreciated.

Old 02-25-02, 01:11 PM
http://www.toolstoolstoolstools.com/s/Sanding_Blocks/

This is the same system Home Depot sells........

Old 02-25-02, 01:43 PM
ROBL
Visiting Guest
Thanks for the quick reply.

Rob

Search this Thread