Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Interior Improvement Center > Walls and Ceilings
Reload this Page >

sanding drywall patches(a clean way??)

Old 02-19-02, 10:26 PM
bluemacaw
Visiting Guest

Just wondering if anyone has any tips on keeping the messy sanding the ceiling patch job...CLEAN........The only way I used to try before was holding a vaccum up next to where I am sanding.
Other other TIPS out there ????????
I want to minimaze the dust getting everywhere. Even covering the stuff up isn't always guaranteed to protect everything.
thanks

Sponsored Links
Old 02-20-02, 04:31 AM
KC~76
Visiting Guest
First knock off any ridges with a wide mud knife. Then "sand" with a big warm, slightly damp sponge. This way also makes a beautiful inside corner.

Old 02-20-02, 05:19 AM
bluemacaw,
There is not an easy way to keep away from all the dust. It's the nature of the BEAST.
But, to keep the dust confined, tape up plastic sheets in the doorways to at least keep it in one room.

fred

Old 02-20-02, 08:20 AM
Taura59
Visiting Guest
even seams

Stupid question....but I have used compound on the seams to even them out, now I am sanding, but how can you tell when the seams are even enough to paint? Do you just keep sanding until no more compound comes off? or just visually look at it, but it is hard to tell if they are even or not. Any suggestions????