Mounting furring strips

Old 02-21-02, 07:25 AM
Mounting furring strips

I'd like to mount furring strips on top of my basement concrete wall (Wall is made up of what looks like approximately 2ft x 2ft "blocks" - don't know exactly what you call these). When I tried to use my powder activated nailer it simply caused a big hole in the concrete - too strong? I've tried drilling using masonry bits & it takes too long. What is the best way to accomplish this?
When I used my powder act nailer I used the charges designed for "harder" concrete - should I've used "less" powerful charges for "softer" concrete? Any ideas? Thanks

Sponsored Links
Old 02-21-02, 09:48 AM
woodbadger
Visiting Guest
For furring strips you don't need a fastener as strong as a nail or screw. You can just use construction adhesive.

The chipping of your concrete is from using too short of a nail.

If you are building a wall out of 2x2s you can build the wall on the floor, lift it into place, and attach it to the floor and to the ceiling trusses.

Old 02-21-02, 10:05 AM
I used 2 1/2 inch nails - I would have thought they would be long enough. Other then adhesive what would you recommend in terms of nails or screws? Would you suggest 3" nails? - seems a little long for simple furring strips.

I can't mount it to the floor because I have baseboard heatong running along the bottom - so I'd like to frame the wall starting on top/above the baseboard. Any ideas?

Old 02-21-02, 10:17 AM
woodbadger
Visiting Guest
if the block is like a normal masonary block, you should not be using the yellows. They are for nailing into a poured slab like the floor.

I would be cautious about not removing the baseboard heaters. There usually is a top clearance requirement. Removing them is not a big deal either. Usually three wires and two screws.

My guess is you are putting up paneling after the furring strips. and you are putting up the furring strips because the wall is not flat enough to put up the paneling. A bead of construction adhesive along the furring strip is more than strong enough. You will then use construction adhesive to attach the panelling to the furring strips.

Old 02-21-02, 04:01 PM
Your right about the yellow - I got them originally for the purpose of nailing into the concrete floor which worked well. Would the lesser charges #2's or #3's (the yellows are #4's) still be too strong?

Why do I need clearance above baseboard? Placing the wall behind it is no less in contact with the baseboards then placing it above them.

Old 02-21-02, 07:10 PM
woodbadger
Visiting Guest
The baseboard comment is just a caution. I just got done installing a zero clearance gase fireplace, and the building inspector wanted to come out and make sure I didn't violate any clearance issues. Maybe he thought I would continue my header through the fire chamber!!! he he he.

Anyway ... you are shooting into cinder block, so you should be using the gray shells. My past experience has been that if the nail is too short is chips the block. I have never used the maximum load on block.

Let me know if the light loads solve your issue.

Old 02-22-02, 06:09 AM
I'll try & let you know. Thanks